Charset Problem [not utf-8 problem]

Started by Tiduss, November 14, 2008, 12:18:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tiduss

Hi i was using IBP 2.3.4 with iso-8859-9 (turkish). i converted my forum to smf 1.1.7 but some turkish chars seems little different. i mean they are not like "#32&" they are looks like this : "ý , ð" how can i or which way do i have to follow about conversation ?

SleePy

Are you using UTF-8?

I would recommend UTF-8 over another language set as SMF has support for it.
Jeremy D ~ Site Team / SMF Developer ~ GitHub Profile ~ Join us on IRC @ Libera.chat/#smf ~ Support the SMF Support team!

Tiduss

As you can see someof my topic titles utf-8 but some of them not.

ThorstenE

Seems to be a problem with your ipb_tables?!? have  you changed the charset while using IPB (switching from or to UTF-8)?

I would try to convert to SMF with charset iso-8859-9, after the conversion has finished change the charset to UTF-8 (Admin - Forum Maintenance) .. After changing to UTF-8 there is also an option to convert special chars to HTML-Entities..(Admin - Forum Maintenance)

Tiduss

they are latin1_swedish_ci. Later i convert it to utf-8 but still same

ThorstenE

The error is in your ipb_tables.. Don't know anything about IPB but maybe there is an option to fix this in the Admin Control Panel from your IPB? How many special chars ar in your charset? I have written an .sql script for SMF to fix an issue with german umlauts a few month ago.. maybe you can modify this for your charset?!? I have attached this file but you must change it for your charset..

all lines in this script have a part like this:
replace(body,'ä','ä');
this replaces the wrong character (ä) with the right character (ä); this part must be modified.

Note: Make a backup before using it!

HunterP

Quote from: TE on November 17, 2008, 01:47:12 AM
The error is in your ipb_tables.. Don't know anything about IPB but maybe there is an option to fix this in the Admin Control Panel from your IPB? How many special chars ar in your charset? I have written an .sql script for SMF to fix an issue with german umlauts a few month ago.. maybe you can modify this for your charset?!? I have attached this file but you must change it for your charset..

all lines in this script have a part like this:
replace(body,'ä','ä');
this replaces the wrong character (ä) with the right character (ä); this part must be modified.

Note: Make a backup before using it!

I'm sorry to reply on this old topic, but I'm experiencing about the same. I've taken over a phpBB board, converted it to SMF, but already before conversion the special charaters weren't displayed correctly due to an incorrect DB-import when the phpBB board moved to another host, a few months ago. I've done some replacements like above query and now these characters are displayed correctly in FireFox, but IE shows something weird. I assume this has something to do with the HTML-charset?

Advertisement: