News:

SMF 2.1.4 has been released! Take it for a spin! Read more.

Main Menu

Fresh install with packages...

Started by trilap5e, March 13, 2011, 08:01:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

trilap5e

i'm stuck. i've scoured the forums and can't seem to find enough or the right info for my particular situation. i want to install a fresh copy of RC5 but i have packages installed. i'm running into broken pipe errors and can't seem to uninstall the packages before going thru the forum install. can i just install smf and the packages i had before and everything be kosher? or will this upset the data written previously by the packages?

reason being i am about to completely update the forum's theme and will have to make changes the packages require anyway. i guess what i'm really asking is what upgrade path should i take? should i install the forum fresh, then update my theme, then re-install the packages? please help!

kat

OK, that's me confused.

You say "i want to install a fresh copy of RC5". Yet, in the same sentence, you say "i have packages installed".

So... Do you want a FRESH install?

Or, are you actually upgrading?

NanoSector

Just reupload the SMF files, install your theme and install your packages after that?
My Mods / Mod Builder - A tool to easily create mods / Blog
"I've heard from a reliable source that the Answer is 42. But, still no word on what the question is."

trilap5e

yes i want a fresh install. but i can't uninstall the packages i already have installed before i do so. so i was curious if after i install fresh, and reinstall my packages the data that i have already in the database from the packages will be overwritten when i reinstall. make more sense? i'm trying to preserve the data from the packages but i need to install fresh cuz i cannot install or uninstall packages...

Rumbaar

It could depend on the mod's configuration.  If they are coded to drop the table or fields that contains it's settings and then install.  Then you'll loss your settings.  But if it's designed to check if the tables or fields are already there and ignore them if they are, then you should be able to retain all your settings and preferences.

But it will depend on how the mod's creator has designed it.

Also if your problem is the fact you can't install and uninstall packages and you're doing a free install to fix this.   Then I'd suggest you address the server, file or permissions issues you've got before you go to that much trouble.
"An important reward for a job well done is a personal sense of worthwhile achievement."

[ Themes ]

trilap5e

i've tried everything to fix the problems i've got and am now at the last step before i completely reinstall. my forum has been around for a long time and i know a reinstall could do us some good... but i'm just worried about losing data/attachments/etc. thanks for all your help.

kat

[off topic]

Good to see you posting, again, Rumbaar!

[/off topic]

Advertisement: