News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

this is odd?

Started by blazinchuck, March 14, 2011, 11:10:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hipneck

I got here by googling on the malware URL, because it was found in a non Simple Machines page I maintain...BUT Simple Machines is running on a subdomain of the site, on the same box, and I was hit on the same date with the same iframe include.

Might just be coincidence, but I'm wondering if someone found a vulnerability in SM that allowed them access to edit this other (static html) file on the same server

Arantor

If the file permissions were set wrong, anyone on the server could have modified the files - not necessarily through a direct vulnerability in the software itself.

hipneck

Quote from: Arantor on March 17, 2011, 12:40:19 PM
If the file permissions were set wrong, anyone on the server could have modified the files - not necessarily through a direct vulnerability in the software itself.
The file in question is set to 644, but it is a shared server.

Arantor

And it's not like some hacks reset file permissions afterwards or anything... ;)

hipneck

Sorry, I didn't mean to say that SM was the weakness, or even the most likely candidate, but it's worth keeping an eye out for similar incidents, because the inserted code and the the date of the breach were exactly the same on my site as on the OP's, we both have SM running, and the permissions on the file in question have always been 644.

If I saw a 3rd report of the same malicious iframe insertion on a server running SM, I'd be concerned...

busterone

The Google results that I actually read said that code was inserted into WordPress sites.

Advertisement: