News:

Join the Facebook Fan Page.

Main Menu

Permissions Question

Started by Cerebus06, March 15, 2011, 02:29:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cerebus06

I've got an interesting question related to board permissions.

I have a couple of categories where I only want members of certain groups able to actually post within the boards there, but I still want all members able to view those boards.  I have member groups set up for each section of the forum as needed for this, but by default all members are part of the "Regular Members" group, and then the sub groups are assigned to grant access to the specific categories.

Now - if I attempt to change the permissions for "Regular Users" on what I thought was just the category in question so that they can't post within it, it actually makes it impossible for "Regular Users" to post on the ENTIRE forum rather than just in that category alone.

So - how would I go about doing something like this?

Illori

have you looked into permission profiles for those boards that are effected?

Cerebus06

Yes - when I select the specific board and then click Permissions, I can make the changes.  However - if I do that - that then affects the ENTIRE forum - not just the board in question.

Illori

you have to make a new profile, and then assign it to that ONE board not a profile that is already assigned to boards.

Cerebus06

Ok, so to make sure I'm getting this correctly, I have to create specific member groups for the boards in question and then edit them appropriately... I can't use the Regular Members group at all?

Illori

no you can, you need to create a new permission profile for this board.

Cerebus06

Um... ok.  How exactly do I do that?

Illori

admin -> boards -> modify the board you want the new profile for -> click "permission set"  -> enter permission profile name on next page, you can copy from default profile -> click create, edit this profile to have the permissions you want for this board and this board only, then go back to the boards -> modify and select this new profile to be applied to that board.

Xarcell

Like Illori says, you need to create a permission profile, that allows only that group you want to post in it, but everyone can see.

But don't forget, if your postgroup permission is set to "allowed to post", those members you don't want to post still can. So go to "admin > membergroups > postgroup" and make sure you have their permission set properly. I set it to inherit "regular members", but it may be a different situation for you.

Illori

you can also enable the ability to deny permissions and deny posting for other groups in this board.

Advertisement: