News:

Join the Facebook Fan Page.

Main Menu

Mod installation issues

Started by RTDK, March 15, 2011, 05:12:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RTDK

Well hello there. I've been trying out SMF for a couple of days, wanting to set it up for a community, but I seem to have a ton of issues with mods. I'm currently running SMF 2.0 RC5, with the Touch RC5 Theme, which is a variation of Curve. I need to install a lot of modifications to get the forum to where I want, but most of them keep spitting out errors on installation, both on the Default theme and on Touch. If it were 1 or 2 files to be modified manually in every 5-6 mods that I am installing, it would be fine, but it has errors on 2-3 files on each mod and on some of those I can't even find the bit of code it is looking for in the file (probably why it reports the error :D).  Now, my main concern is, if the mods are made for 2.0 RC5 and are recommended especially for variations of Curve, why don't most of them work ? This is a major let-down for me, because I've loved SMF up to when it came to installing mods. Could it be some error on my side, or is this just how it works ?

Arantor

RTDK

Oh, now I see that some of the mods I've been trying to install are said to be compatible with 2.0 RC3 or RC4, but no RC5. Those with RC5 usually have only 1 or 2 errors. My main question now is : What SMF version should one use ? I tried installing Advanced Reputation System on 2.0 RC3 but it was impossible, so I upgraded to RC5, but now I see that some other mods that I need are only compatible with RC3 or RC4. This means that I can only use about half of the mods I really need ?

Arantor

The latest version, basically. RC5 fixes some security issues in versions prior to RC5. And most 2.0 RC3+ mods will work on RC5 with a little encouragement.

aidyUK

version emulation is a good way to go

to access you need to go to

admin control panel > > > packages > > > browse packages > > > in the bottom corner click the advanced tab > > > change the 5 to the verision you need (in example it would start as "SMF 2.0 RC5" but you would change it to "SMF 2.0 RC3" if the mod was rc3 compatable) > > > > install the mod > > > > when do remeber to go back to advnaced and click revert then save again so that you go back to RC5

hope this helps clear things up
Infernogaming | xxaidyukxx <- Aim just add me

Advertisement: