News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

How do I remove the "view most recent posts" thing from the info centre?

Started by wynnyelle, March 16, 2011, 03:38:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wynnyelle

On an SMF 2.0 forum rc3.

I want to remove it because the article on how to speed up your forum says to remove this function, and we've been experiencing lag in recent months.

Arantor

Admin > Current Theme should have an option for the number of posts to display there.

Thing is, you have no posts listed there so it's actually turned off (it's for having the *number* of posts right there in the info centre)

wynnyelle

Oh I thought that article was for that link saying, "View the most recent posts in the forum" thing and that that slows the server down?

Arantor

No, it's for the recent posts themselves - look at this board, you'll see it has 5 most recent posts on it.

wynnyelle

Oh THAT! Yeah, we removed that, we already have recent posts showing up on the front of each board so it seemed kinda useless. Thanks anyway!

Arantor

I noticed you had ;) Basically, since that is a separate query that has to evaluate every board (again) and potentially a large percentage of the posts table on its own (rather than tying it via the topics table which allows it to short circuit things), it should be avoided if possible.

Advertisement: