Wrong upgrade pack

Started by reinner, March 17, 2011, 02:40:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

reinner

Hi,

I mistakenly used the small upgrade instead of the large update pack for rc 4 to rc 5.
Now all of my mods got uninstalled, but when I tried to install the mods it just duplicates
the original mod that was installed before.

How do I fix this?

Thanks for all the great and fast support that SMF is offering.

NanoSector

Hello,

Using the Small package indeed uninstalls all mods.

Are you sure you uploaded all of the files in the package?
Because that will overwrite all of the files the mod could possibly have modified.
My Mods / Mod Builder - A tool to easily create mods / Blog
"I've heard from a reliable source that the Answer is 42. But, still no word on what the question is."

reinner

Quote from: Yoshi2889 on March 17, 2011, 02:44:50 PM
Hello,

Because that will overwrite all of the files the mod could possibly have modified.

Hi Yoshi,

I uploaded the .zip of the small package and unpacked it in my cpanel and then upgraded my forum.
I tried installing i.e Refferals System, it was installed successfully without any problem, but now I can
see 2 "Refferals System" word at the buttom of my page.

you can check my site at and seee the
www.ourbabybits.net

Is there any way to fix those mods that was installed earlier?

NanoSector

Quote from: reinner on March 17, 2011, 03:08:54 PM
Quote from: Yoshi2889 on March 17, 2011, 02:44:50 PM
Hello,

Hi Yoshi,

I uploaded the .zip of the small package and unpacked it in my cpanel and then upgraded my forum.
I tried installing i.e Refferals System, it was installed successfully without any problem, but now I can
see 2 "Refferals System" word at the buttom of my page.

you can check my site at and seee the
www.ourbabybits.net

Is there any way to fix those mods that was installed earlier?
Well, you can try to empty the cache.
Admin > Maintenance > Empty the cache
"I've heard from a reliable source that the Answer is 42. But, still no word on what the question is."

reinner

hi yoshi,

i did empty my cache. I really don't know what does that do but I still have the same issue.

NanoSector

Quote from: reinner on March 17, 2011, 03:45:42 PM
hi yoshi,

i did empty my cache. I really don't know what does that do but I still have the same issue.
Weird.

I am lost. Someone else can maybe complete this issue.

reinner

tesser

Why not go to your myadminphp and find the smf_packages table take a look at that and there you will see  2 lots of mods installed.

Click on arrange by name  and place a tick in  every 2nd mod  and then scroll the page down and hit the red X to delete the  double mod.

I dont use cpanel so if may be worded different  also get a back up first just incase.

You can play installing and unistalling all week if you want but the fact is  you have double mods installed in your database.

Find the packages and click the yellow highlight  like the pic below

reinner

@tesser thanks for the reply. Just a question, is it going to also remove the codes added to the .php files when I installed the script?

tesser

Answer no it will remove only the double mods stored in the database  do the above then do the large upgrade to sort  out the files on your  server.

I also did what you did once.

cut it short  the upgrade  reinstalled the mods but the mods where not unistalled hence you now has 2 lots of the same mods in the database

NanoSector

Quote from: tesser on March 17, 2011, 06:23:13 PM
Answer no it will remove only the double mods stored in the database  do the above then do the large upgrade to sort  out the files on your  server.

I also did what you did once.

cut it short  the upgrade  reinstalled the mods but the mods where not unistalled hence you now has 2 lots of the same mods in the database
Upgrades will not reinstall mods.

tesser

HMMMM i typed it wrong it was late here lol.

remove the doeble mod from the database file and then  do the large upgrade  once done go to the mod section of your admin section  and reinstall the mods there.

thanx yoshi good to see some one on the ball

reinner

Thanks for the reply. I am going to try this later tonight and I will post back here the updates.

after installing the large update do I have to manually edit the lines added by mods I installed earlier?

Thank you for replying in here. ;)

Illori

make sure your mods are updated for rc5 first, if not you can use version emulation to install an older version on the new code, you just have to check for conflicts which the installer will tell you about.

reinner

just incase.. how could I freshly install my whole SMF without affecting the post and registered members?

I am just planning to install a fresh SMF rc 4 since most of my mods are not yet compatible with rc 5 and I don't
know how to edit those lines added by mods I installed earlier...

Illori

take a look at Upgrading SMF also you can and should upgrade to RC5 and use version emulation to get most if not all mods that work with RC4 to work with RC5.

tesser

If for any reason you feel uncomfortable  playing around with  any of the files  il be glad to help you  out in any way i can  can you pm me a forum link so i can  join your site ???

if you attemp it and all goes wrong  il be more than happy to help you  do it or do it for you  via ftp and il also be happy to edit your database for you  if you find it hard at all >>

remember to always make a back up first

but if you do think about letting me help you out i advise you to read this topic  first http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=228940.0

The offer is there  if you need it at all

reinner

ops, i forgot to ask.. which package should i use, large upgrade or small update? i want to totally remove all mods installed.

Illori

reinner

Quote from: Illori on March 18, 2011, 03:27:00 PM
large

that was quick. thanks Illori

Update:
I still got the same problem.

I just removed the duplicated text from the footer from the display.template

Just in case can I just reinstall my whole SMF from scratch?
I just need to know how to keep the posts and the members.. How do can I do that?

NanoSector

Quote from: reinner on March 18, 2011, 04:50:21 PM
Quote from: Illori on March 18, 2011, 03:27:00 PM
large

that was quick. thanks Illori

Update:
I still got the same problem.

Can I just reinstall my whole SMF from scratch?
I just need to know how to keep the posts and the members.. How do can I do that?
Make a database backup, clear your database, reinstall SMF and clear your database again. Then import the database backup (extracted!!!!!) again.

Need more instructions?

Illori

you dont need to reimport the database like you suggest, just overriding the files with the large upgrade package then installing your mods again will give you a fresh set of files and fix most issues that are not database related.

NanoSector

Quote from: Illori on March 18, 2011, 05:41:28 PM
you dont need to reimport the database like you suggest, just overriding the files with the large upgrade package then installing your mods again will give you a fresh set of files and fix most issues that are not database related.
The user asked if he could reinstall the whole forum.

Illori

usually by that they mean the files, the database is usually just fine the way it is. and if they want a clean install with the old database it may also need an upgrade so putting it in place first then running upgrade.php would be preferable.

reinner

thanks for all the help. all issues are solved. iam now going to mark this as solved.
i used the 'upgrade from scratch thing then imported my database/

Advertisement: