News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

Private Message Email Notification

Started by melanieh75, March 19, 2011, 12:00:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

melanieh75

I have been looking, and cannot seem to find if this already exists. I would like to change the notification email users receive when they get a private message. I would like to hide the text of the PM, instead force the user to click a link to view it. That way, people will not reply to the email (which happens a lot), but will be forced to view the PM on the site.

I found "Don't allow post text in notifications?" under Features and Options > Basic Features. But, that seems to only hide the text a user receives when they are watching a thread.

Hoping someone can point me in the right direction.

Thanks!

Mel

Illori

which version of smf are you running?

kat

Admin>Features and Options>Basic Features>Don't allow post text in notifications?

Illori

Quote from: melanieh75 on March 19, 2011, 12:00:18 PM
I found "Don't allow post text in notifications?" under Features and Options > Basic Features. But, that seems to only hide the text a user receives when they are watching a thread.

Quote from: K@ on March 22, 2011, 10:00:25 AM
Admin>Features and Options>Basic Features>Don't allow post text in notifications?

i wonder if that was tried already ;)

melanieh75

K@ I love your current profile pic. Looks like my crabby abby cat.

Any ideas? No mod for this that anyone is aware of? Seems like something that has surely come up before.

Mel

Arantor

Edit Themes/default/languages/PersonalMessage.english.php

Code (find) Select
$txt[562] = 'You have just been sent a personal message by SENDER on ' . $context['forum_name'] . '.' . "\n\n" . 'IMPORTANT: Remember, this is just a notification. Please do not reply to this email.' . "\n\n" . 'The message they sent you was:' . "\n\n" . 'MESSAGE';

Code (replace) Select
$txt[562] = 'You have just been sent a personal message by SENDER on ' . $context['forum_name'] . '.' . "\n\n" . 'IMPORTANT: Remember, this is just a notification. Please do not reply to this email.' . "\n\n" . 'Instead, please visit the forum at ' . $GLOBALS['scripturl'] . '?action=pm to read your message.';

melanieh75

Rob Lightbody

This topic worked a treat for me too, thanks!

One more thing though - when they click the link, I'd prefer it just took them to the 'read message' screen, rather than what it actually does - which is as if they'd already hit 'reply' (with the message already quoted and in place).

Can this be done?

Cheers,

- Rob

OCJ

Yes, something should be done about this....

I'm sick of  getting personal messages because they hit 'reply' in their own email software to 'noreply@mywebsite'.

And the link should be to read - not to quoted bbcoded reply whick is difficult to read anyway.

jonbius

Quote from: Arantor on March 23, 2011, 09:08:41 AM
Edit Themes/default/languages/PersonalMessage.english.php

Code (find) Select
$txt[562] = 'You have just been sent a personal message by SENDER on ' . $context['forum_name'] . '.' . "\n\n" . 'IMPORTANT: Remember, this is just a notification. Please do not reply to this email.' . "\n\n" . 'The message they sent you was:' . "\n\n" . 'MESSAGE';

Code (replace) Select
$txt[562] = 'You have just been sent a personal message by SENDER on ' . $context['forum_name'] . '.' . "\n\n" . 'IMPORTANT: Remember, this is just a notification. Please do not reply to this email.' . "\n\n" . 'Instead, please visit the forum at ' . $GLOBALS['scripturl'] . '?action=pm to read your message.';

Does this work for 2.x? I get a ton of messages with people replying to a PM notification.

Arantor

No, it doesn't, needs rewriting for 2.x and I don't have time right now to do so, sorry.

Chalky

Chalky

Advertisement: