News:

SMF 2.1.4 has been released! Take it for a spin! Read more.

Main Menu

Typo3/SMF 2.0

Started by Garrett, March 27, 2011, 12:28:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Garrett

Hello. I am looking into integrating a Typo3 CMS Homepage with a SMF 2.0 RC5 Forum together. Is there a Way I can do this without having to use SMF 1.1.1x? I'd like to keep my SMF 2.0 RC5 Forum but connect it with a Typo3 Homepage. Please Help.
Owner, Garrett's Websites
Website Designer and proud SMF User since 2010

N3RVE

There is no (un)official bridge to get those two working together, it could be done though. What type of 'integration' are you looking to accomplish?

-[n3rve]
Ralph "[n3rve]" Otowo
Former Marketing Co-ordinator, Simple Machines.
ralph [at] simplemachines [dot] org                       
Quote"Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known." - Carl Sagan

Garrett

Well, Integrating it so that the Members on the Forum can also participate in the CMS pages as well [like Filling Out Member-Only Forms, etc.]
Owner, Garrett's Websites
Website Designer and proud SMF User since 2010

MICHICAUST

I'd like to pull this one out of the depths of oblivion - I'm also VERY interested in a solution to exactly this problem.

Mainly the final result should allow me to a) integrate an existing SMF 2.x installation into my typo3 project and b) set the availability/visibility of certain sidebar menu points and forms depending on the user status/level defined by the SMF login status/database.

Thanks for any advice on this! :) :)

Regards,

- michicaust

jack

I will be looking into implementing this in the not too distant future* as I am (finally) upgrading one of my forums to SMF2* and installing Typo3 alongside it.

I intend for this to be pretty much just an authentication bridge, so Typo3 uses the SMF user database for authentication and users logged into SMF will automatically be logged in as a Typo3 front-end user (and vice-versa). Typo3 user permissions should be able to be assigned to SMF users and groups.

I used to have this working for SMF1 so I have a good idea of what is involved and now that SMF2 has a different license, I should be able to release some code at some point*.

* knowing my workload for other stuff - don't hold your breath.

sootersong

I'm also VERY interested in a solution to exactly this problem.

jack

OK, I have basic user integration working now :)

What works :

User login :-
  • A user can log into the Typo3 front end using their SMF credentials. The user is automatically logged into SMF also.
  • Optional SSO : If a user is logged into SMF, Typo3 can pick this up and silently log them into The Typo3 Frontend.
  • Optional SSO : The user is automatically logged out of SMF when they log out of typo3 frontend.
  • If a typo3 frontend user account does not exist for the user, one is automatically created. A single Typo3 usergroup and storage folder for such users is configurable.
  • Typo3 user's name is synchronised with SMF's membername.

Future plans :-
  • Awareness of SMF groups.
  • Backend authentication.
  • Logout from SMF causes logout of Typo3 frontend (will likely require a mod for SMF)
  • Documentation ;)

I have not tested what happens with banned or un-activated users yet. This depends on functionality within smf_api. I can't see any real mention of the banning or activation mechanism in the api, so my gut feeling is that such users will be allowed to log in but I'm not 100% sure.

I want to do some work on dealing with situations where SMF is not installed or mis-configured but otherwise could upload to TER today with the above (lack of) functionality if anyone's interested?

Advertisement: