News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

How to I transfer my smf members and posts to another smf forum?

Started by Sleezy, March 27, 2011, 05:37:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sleezy

Hello, How do I transfer my forums post's, members, and boards, to another smf forum?

-Lowrida018
SMFNew Advocate for SMFNew (Dagger)

kat

Export the database from one and import it to the other. (The SMF versions should be the same, though. You can't import a v1.1.13 database into a v2.x forum.)

Do you need that to be explained in a bit more detail?

Illori

i am not sure that is what they want, it is somewhat unclear. they may even be wanting to "merge" 2 smf databases into 1.

kat

"Transfer" suggests, to me, a simple transfer.

Still, my ESP skills always flag, a bit, after the damned clocks go forward... ;)

ziycon

It looks like a bad choice of wording by the OP.

If you just wants to take your current database and put else where then what K@ said will do it, if your trying to merge one database with another, this would take a lot of time, work and planning as its not easy, personally i wouldn't do it mself unless someone here has done it before and has some tips/guidelines on how to!?

Sleezy

Wrong wrong wrong, I just want to transfer my members from my smf 2.0 rc3 forum to my other smf 2.0 rc3 forum. http://rordragster.site90.com to http://ror-fd-pd-ems.net23.net  And I am using filezilla, and 000webhost.

Sleezy

I  can give someone access to the forum, if they could do it.

Illori

transfer from one working forum to another working forum? that is a merge, if you want this done please post in the help wanted board. most likely if anyone is willing to help you, you will have to pay for this to be done. marking this solved as directly you will not get support with this request.

Sleezy

No its not solved, I want to do it my self, I just need to transfer my members and posts, so do I just put everything from my old forum into my new forums database?

kat

This is assuming (As you haven't told us) that your new forum has NO members and NO posts.

If that's the case, then, as I said, go to your site's CPanel and export (Save) the database.

On your new site, go to CPanel and restore (Import) it.

Simple as that. :)

Sleezy

Can someone make a video on how, because I use 000webhost, and there cpanel is different. Could I just do it by using filezilla?

Illori

if you explain better what you want then maybe someone can help you, otherwise we will keep guessing and giving you wrong advice on what to do.

kat

Filezilla?

Definitely not.

No way.

With your site's equivalent of CPanel, look for a way to backup.

It's the database you want.

Just back it up to your hard disk and restore it to your new site.

Sleezy

kat

Telepathy's about all I can offer. ;)

If you're not sure where to look, give your host a nudge.

They'll tell you, I feel certain. :)

Sleezy

Illori

since it is late where K@ lives, i doubt you will find him able to chat with you at this hour.

Sleezy

Illori

i dont have time for a live chat. you cant explain your issue here so everyone can help you, i dont see a need to take my time to help you one-on-one.

Sleezy

It's not video chat :\ it's a typing chat, just go there, and look.

Advertisement: