How to I transfer my smf members and posts to another smf forum?

Started by Sleezy, March 27, 2011, 05:37:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Illori

this forum is setup for support so everyone can help, we do not wish to take you somewhere else for support. please explain in detail what you want to do and people here will help you. it is possible that myself or K@ may not know how to fix your problem but we dont know as you cant tell us what you really want to do.

Sleezy

No offence but, I don't trust someone thats not a support person, admin, ect. ...
SMFNew Advocate for SMFNew (Dagger)

Illori

that does not mean you cant explain in clear english what you are trying to do so that people can suggest what YOU can do to fix your problem. there are many people there that provide support and solve peoples issues that are not on the smf team.

Arantor

If you have someone bothering to take the time to try and help you, it usually helps if you give them enough information to be able to suggest something.

And while your policy of 'not trusting' people, I suspect you'd put me in the same category because I'm not on the SMF team, despite knowing SMF better than many...

CapadY

Quote from: K@ on March 29, 2011, 04:38:04 PM
This is assuming (As you haven't told us) that your new forum has NO members and NO posts.

Maybe you can first tell us if this asume is right ? It's very important information to be able answering your question.
Please, don't PM me for support unless invited.
If you don't understand this, you will be blacklisted.

Sleezy

I want to transfer the members, because my site was a temporary website for my friends 'Club' and all the members on it accept 2 joined the site for my members club.

Illori

do you mind loosing posts etc on one of the 2 boards? otherwise it is very complicated and not many people even know how to do it.

CapadY

Quote from: lowrida018 on March 31, 2011, 04:45:36 PM
I want to transfer the members, because my site was a temporary website for my friends 'Club' and all the members on it accept 2 joined the site for my members club.
So, it took only 25 posts to get an answer for this very simple but important question. :(

As Ilori said, it's a very hard job to merge 2 forums. There is no manual for it. It will take you a lot of time. a lot of database tables have to be edit manualy and a very litle mistake make's your forum useless.

As a matter of fact, in theory it's possible but practical it isn't.

Sleezy

I just want to move the members, I don't care about anything else.

CapadY

Even then it will be a crime.

In membertable are defined used theme, membergroups, additional membergroups, warnings, ignore boards, postgroup, karma, ignore list, unread messages, languagefile, number of posts. I can hardly believe they are exactly yhe same in both forums so it's gonna be one big mesh or even nothing is shown for the added members because some files called in the database aren't available in the new forum.

One way or the other you'll have to deal with those things when importing the members.

Sleezy

Can someone tell me a program that can do this if anyone knows of one?

Illori

there is no program or any way but manually to do what you want. there is no easy way out on this task.

Arantor

Quote from: capady on April 02, 2011, 04:32:41 AM
Even then it will be a crime.

In membertable are defined used theme, membergroups, additional membergroups, warnings, ignore boards, postgroup, karma, ignore list, unread messages, languagefile, number of posts. I can hardly believe they are exactly yhe same in both forums so it's gonna be one big mesh or even nothing is shown for the added members because some files called in the database aren't available in the new forum.

One way or the other you'll have to deal with those things when importing the members.

Oh, and just for fun, avatars too, sometimes they're in the members table, sometimes there's also data in the attachments table.

Sleezy

Can someone just simplify it, like what I need to export, and how to do it in Cpanel?

Arantor

No, we can't, because as we've said so many other things are intertwined with it, there's no simple way to do it.

As listed above, you'd end up exporting half of the database because of all the things that are related.

Sleezy

Can someone just tell me what to do, is what I am trying to say.

Arantor

And what we're trying to say is that we can't.

It isn't just one table. It's a whole bunch of stuff, spread out through half the database, like membergroups, avatars, and so on. If you don't care about any of that stuff, you can just export the members table on its own and blindly shove it into the new forum. Groups will be screwed up, likely permissions too, and any users who had uploaded avatars won't have their avatars, but the member data will otherwise be imported.

(Oh, and this doesn't bode well for your desire to become a team member, especially for a team whose job is helping people modify SMF's code...)

Sleezy

Arantor

Quote from: lowrida018 on April 02, 2011, 10:25:07 PM
I just wanted to be a Customizer.

Yes, the team responsible for reviewing and approving modifications on the SMF website, which requires a decent knowledge of PHP, a decent knowledge of SMF's innards and proven ability to actually code things. Also usually requires the ability to listen to people who know the system very well.

* Arantor used to be one of the Customizer team.

Sleezy

Advertisement: