Advertisement:

Author Topic: Forum SEO is a myth  (Read 261435 times)

Offline Arantor

• Resident Overthinker
  • SMF Friend
  • SMF Legend
    • Arantor on GitHub
Re: Forum SEO is a myth
« Reply #40 on: April 19, 2011, 10:42:02 AM »
Oh, that's really bad, possibly even an XSS vulnerability there.

At least this one isn't strictly a vulnerability. The main reason I point it out is that SimpleSEF (and maybe Pretty URLs, not sure) keeps the id in the URL, so that everything else could occur just the same as in this article.
To assume is to hope that those who came before had the presence of mind and capacity to implement the dreams of those who would come after.

You either die a hero or live long enough to see yourself become the villain. It seems you have chosen which, and now I must do the same.

Offline SlammedDime

• SMF Friend
  • SMF Super Hero
  • School of Air Ride
    • matt.zuba on Facebook
    • @mattzuba on Twitter
    • ZubaFitness
« Reply #41 on: April 19, 2011, 11:37:59 AM »
Yea... I'm thinking, now, about adding some code so that if the requested URL doesn't match what the topic or user should be, perform a 301 redirect to the proper URL.  Won't require any extra database queries I don't think.
SlammedDime
Former Lead Customizer
BitBucket Projects
GeekStorage.com Hosting
                      My Mods
SimpleSEF
Ajax Quick Reply
Sitemap
more...

Offline Paracelsus

« Reply #42 on: April 29, 2011, 06:54:37 PM »
Arantor,

But what if we see a forum like a blog, ie, where each topic is a blog article, being the opening post the blog article itself, the replys the blog comments, the topic title the blog article title and the forum board the blog category/tag...

Couldn't a forum be efficiently SEO'd in this way?

Offline 青山 素子

• Server Team
  • SMF Super Hero
  • 戦場ヶ原、蕩れ!
    • srvrguy on GitHub
    • @motokochan on Twitter
    • Nekomusume Moe
« Reply #43 on: April 29, 2011, 07:13:52 PM »
Only if you start each topic with an eye to SEO. When anyone can start a "blog post", you'll lose the benefit of keyword-optimized text fairly quickly. That's basically the problem there. Sites that rely on user-created content are hard to SEO because people choose bad topic titles, use weak post text, etc.

You can try and work on tertiary optimizations, but the high value stuff will be unattainable simply because you have no control over the content of user's posts.
Motoko-chan
Director, Simple Machines

Just because it's pouring down doesn't mean we're gonna drown. There's a time when all you can say is let it rain - Mat Kearney (Let It Rain)

Note: Unless otherwise stated, my posts are not representative of any official position or opinion of Simple Machines.

Offline Paracelsus

« Reply #44 on: April 29, 2011, 07:32:00 PM »
Well, the topic titles can be edited, users can be instructed to try to make better posts when they create a new topic... It can be difficult with forums like SMF Community, but in smaller and more specific forums it is "doable".

Offline 青山 素子

• Server Team
  • SMF Super Hero
  • 戦場ヶ原、蕩れ!
    • srvrguy on GitHub
    • @motokochan on Twitter
    • Nekomusume Moe
« Reply #45 on: April 30, 2011, 12:24:44 AM »
Sure, but it really hurts the organic nature of a forum if you dictate posts content and format.
Motoko-chan
Director, Simple Machines

Just because it's pouring down doesn't mean we're gonna drown. There's a time when all you can say is let it rain - Mat Kearney (Let It Rain)

Note: Unless otherwise stated, my posts are not representative of any official position or opinion of Simple Machines.

Offline SlammedDime

• SMF Friend
  • SMF Super Hero
  • School of Air Ride
    • matt.zuba on Facebook
    • @mattzuba on Twitter
    • ZubaFitness
« Reply #46 on: April 30, 2011, 12:46:08 AM »
I derno... I made a blog post on my WP blog the other day and within 3 minutes it was already #3 on a google search for a non-specific term search (today it sits at #2, search 'suhosin +perdir').  I'd like to see any forum pull that off, even with decently constructed topic titles/posts.
SlammedDime
Former Lead Customizer
BitBucket Projects
GeekStorage.com Hosting
                      My Mods
SimpleSEF
Ajax Quick Reply
Sitemap
more...

Offline Dannii

• SMF Friend
  • SMF Super Hero
  • Mind the volcano!
    • My homepage
« Reply #47 on: April 30, 2011, 03:20:32 AM »
That's because Wordpress pings a bunch of sites when you blog. There's little reason why a forum couldn't do that too.
"Never imagine yourself not to be otherwise than what it might appear to others that what you were or might have been was not otherwise than what you had been would have appeared to them to be otherwise."

Offline SlammedDime

• SMF Friend
  • SMF Super Hero
  • School of Air Ride
    • matt.zuba on Facebook
    • @mattzuba on Twitter
    • ZubaFitness
« Reply #48 on: April 30, 2011, 11:08:17 AM »
Yes, however the bulk of a topic is not in the first post, and you surely wouldn't want to use a service like that for every post, but topics only, so it becomes pointless because you're sending out a ping letting people know about little to no content.
SlammedDime
Former Lead Customizer
BitBucket Projects
GeekStorage.com Hosting
                      My Mods
SimpleSEF
Ajax Quick Reply
Sitemap
more...

Offline Paracelsus

« Reply #49 on: May 01, 2011, 08:41:33 AM »
Sure, but it really hurts the organic nature of a forum if you dictate posts content and format.

It depends. It's reasonable to edit a topic with the title "Help!!!!!!!!!!!" to something more appropriate like "Need help solving problem X", at least I think it is. The post content may be more difficult but it depends on your community. And although one may argue the bulk of the topic isn't on the first post it is usual to see google ranking blog articles to some keywords through their comments and not the article itself.

So, the thing is, could a forum topic with an "optimized" title+post content rank on google as well as a similar "optimized" blog article? If not, maybe it means there are certain optimizations outside the scope of title and content that need to improved in forums (compared to blogs for example).

Offline Vekseid

• Elliquiy Adult Role Playing Forums
« Reply #50 on: May 19, 2011, 09:09:18 AM »
I derno... I made a blog post on my WP blog the other day and within 3 minutes it was already #3 on a google search for a non-specific term search (today it sits at #2, search 'suhosin +perdir').  I'd like to see any forum pull that off, even with decently constructed topic titles/posts.

Your blog is also not putting out ten thousand messages a day at the same level of influence. Google knows of some sixty thousand urls on my site, of which it indexes about thirty thousand (or so it claims). It can only read so much, so fast, in order to abide by its own spider rules. New content can show up just about anywhere, and the front page only tells Google where to look.

I have seen Google do some really creepy things with forums.

For example, Google knows that I am the owner of my forums. It gives my own posts more weight, especially with regards to technical details of the site itself, because of that.

Google knows what a forum is, alright. It gets treated differently. I do think Google can get better at it - my main search terms are still Pokemon related for no logical or sensible reason. But it's got a pretty keen awareness of what goes on in a forum and how forums work, and it really really likes forums once they've gotten an initial bit of link juice and Google decides it's not a spammer haven. One of my sites is PR3 essentially because of the amount of unique content it generates, rather than links to it.
Adult Role Playing Forums - - Over five million posts - - Elliquiy's LAMP configuration (maybe NSFW)

Blog about Forums and Servers - - Twenty things to make Simple Machines Forum go faster

Private/Instant Message requests for free support will be ignored.

Offline seo_corporation

• Semi-Newbie
  • Home to 300+ Small & medim Sized Companies!!
    • https://www.facebook.com/seocorporation on Facebook
    • http://in.linkedin.com/in/seocorporation on LinkedIn
    • @https://www.twitter. on Twitter
« Reply #51 on: May 23, 2011, 12:28:39 PM »
 :)I agree to your post and the statements about content on a website , a forum or blog.
yeah, indeed Content is the king and quality is the queen. Google loves fresh  and original content for ranking a website higher in SERP ( Search Engine Result Pages), After the recent panda update the quality of the content becomes the top priority . Google is penalizing sites with a purpose of aggregating content for the sole purpose of tricking search engines. It is also penalizing sites having links from content farms. But according to my experience Google has  different parameters for ranking a websites, blog and forums . As you said people at Google are smarter than both of us so they might have realized that forum is a like a crowd in which everyone has right to speak their minds so I think google might be giving less priority to the quality of content in case of forums.
SEO Corporation is a home to more than 300 small and medium sized companies for best

Web Design Toronto

Offline Fiery

• SMF Friend
  • SMF Hero
  • Community Builder
« Reply #52 on: May 26, 2011, 11:01:13 PM »
All I have to say is you can be listed at the top of the search engine and its not going to do you any good if your site is not well built, complete, and has good content.  People are not dumb, if they get to your site and it isn't all of the previously mentioned things they will leave.  Remember first impressions are very important; people aren't going to assume your site will be better down the road, hence they will be less likely to stop back.

Offline timetraveller

« Reply #53 on: June 10, 2011, 09:57:52 AM »
This is an interesting topic.

In my field of interest there is a site right at the top of the Google search return which is much less populated, has far fewer hits etc. etc. than many others on the same topic. So how did they get to the top?

Offline Arantor

• Resident Overthinker
  • SMF Friend
  • SMF Legend
    • Arantor on GitHub
« Reply #54 on: June 10, 2011, 10:15:55 AM »
Google uses 200 different factors in ranking. Age of site, number of links going into it, reputation of those links, speed of the site, number of errors encountered when crawling, and many more...
To assume is to hope that those who came before had the presence of mind and capacity to implement the dreams of those who would come after.

You either die a hero or live long enough to see yourself become the villain. It seems you have chosen which, and now I must do the same.

Offline Clickout

• Semi-Newbie
  • This world is wonderful!
    • EmbeddedSystemsWithC.com
« Reply #55 on: June 11, 2011, 05:15:18 AM »
forum seo is highly unpredictable but if you have a technical forum, then probably the messages contain relevant and unique content. That's why the nature of the forum is a big factor in ranking.

I've included Google's +1 button in my forum iPooL :)

Google says that the number of +1's achieved by a particular page is counted for determining the rank of the page.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2011, 06:05:13 AM by Clickout »

Offline Bookmama

• Semi-Newbie
    • Learn Spanish
« Reply #56 on: June 22, 2011, 01:12:28 PM »

I especially agree with the notes on "friendly urls". Using something such as that is expensive (in computation time), so it should be avoided. As for the readability and "friendlyness" of them, let's make a few real-world examples.

First, the standard SMF URL:

hxxp://www.example.com/index.php?topic=394582

Here, you only really have to remember the topic ID number. It's not as easy to memorize as some things, but it's not super-humanly difficult.

Now, a sample "friendly" URL:

hxxp://www.example.com/topic/should-britian-eat-so-much-fish-394582.html

I think that perhaps this might be easier to memorize than some of the more common topic titles, but you suffer a bit here from the length and time. Four hours later, if you try to pull the page up on a different computer you not only have to still know the topic ID, but now you have to try and remember the words too! Was it Britian or England? Eat or Consume? Of course, if the rewrite is working correctly (pulling only the ID at the end), the following should take you to the same topic:

You actually remember URLs from one computer to another?  I bookmark or use History (on same computer).  If forced to switch computers, if I posted in the thread, I look at my post history.  If I didn't, then I use the forum search. 

But maybe that is just me.  If you tell me your phone number and read all 7 digits to me, odds are I reverse some of the digits when I try and write it down.

Overall I disagree with the analogy that forum SEO is like taking a diagnosis to the doctor.  I think it is more like applying for a job with a psychopath and trying to increase your odds by looking at their previous hiring practices.  Frustrating?  a waste of time?  perhaps... but if you really want the job and 90% of the people hired have worn red to the interview... are you really NOT going to choose red (or look at the statistics).
Most unconventional way to learn Spanish - experts don't believe it works, but I think it's the easiest way to learn Spanish ever.

Rosetta Stone versus Pimsleur

Offline JhonOrton

« Reply #57 on: September 20, 2011, 12:47:45 AM »
I will not agreed with you at this point.. The search Engine Optimization is essential for your website. You know Google have so many factors for giving high rank to your websites. Such as your website relevant content. you website has to be according to the Google webmaster guideline, and must me Google and user friendly. And further you should get links from high pr websites and blog as well.

Offline timetraveller

« Reply #58 on: September 21, 2011, 06:38:45 PM »
Where do you get the +1 button from?

Offline Suki

• Customizer
  • SMF Super Hero
  • Kaizoku Jotei
    • MissAllSunday on GitHub
    • SMF mods
« Reply #59 on: September 21, 2011, 06:45:49 PM »
Look at them. They're just asking for it. Maybe the human race deserves to be wiped out.