News:

Wondering if this will always be free?  See why free is better.

Main Menu

Best Portal

Started by PS4DEV, March 29, 2011, 02:59:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PS4DEV

What do you think is the best Portal Software for 2.0 RC5 ?

SlammedDime

That's like asking who the hottest super model is... you'll get 100 responses from 50 different people... the best thing you can do is to install each of them and test drive them and see what works for your needs.
SlammedDime
Former Lead Customizer
BitBucket Projects
GeekStorage.com Hosting
                      My Mods
SimpleSEF
Ajax Quick Reply
Sitemap
more...

Deaks

For once I agree with SD the best one is up to individuals, for me the best one isnt released yet, however I personally suggest and use Simple Portal
~~~~
Former SMF Project Manager
Former SMF Customizer

"For as lang as hunner o us is in life, in nae wey
will we thole the Soothron tae owergang us. In truth it isna for glory, or wealth, or
honours that we fecht, but for freedom alane, that nae honest cheil gies up but wi life
itsel."

live627

The main reason to use a portal is that it works for your needs. Having said that, I use Dream Portal, though not to its fullest by any arguments , because it works well for what I use and abuse it for.

ARG01

I have used Tiny Portal, EZ Portal, Dream Portal, Porta-MX and Simple Portal.

Tiny Portal:
Great software but a bit too busy for my needs. Has many features but it can be slightly confusing to the beginner. Great portal page layout options, perhaps the best yet.
I give it a +8

EZ Portal: Very easy to set up and use but some features did not bear well with me. Not sure why?
I give it a +6

Dream Portal: Nice program at one time but seems to currently be in the stages of revamping or upgrading.
I give it a +5 (only because it is in re-development stages) Will surly give it another try soon.

Porta-MX: Very nice program. Installs without issue but may at times be difficult to get used to if you are not familiar with it. Has nice, easy layout features for the portal page, especially if desiring forum topics on the portal page.
I give it a +8

Simple Portal: Extremely easy to install, navigate and set up portal page. Has a slight block header bar issue with most custom themes but is a very easy fix. Hopefully this will be corrected in the next version or upgrade. Additional page and article creation is very easy to accomplish. Only thing missing is the option for full width header and footer blocks. Not sure if they ever actually plan on implementing them in future releases?
I give it a +9

Over all I currently prefer Simple Portal for most applications.  ;)

No, I will not offer free downloads to Premium DzinerStuido themes. Please stop asking.

PS4DEV

Thanks,

I am happy with simple portals ;)

feline

Quote from: ARG on March 30, 2011, 12:22:40 AM
Porta-MX: Very nice program. Installs without issue but may at times be difficult to get used to if you are not familiar with it. Has nice, easy layout features for the portal page, especially if desiring forum topics on the portal page.
I give it a +8
You forgot to say that PortaMx 1.0 RC4 have build in a SEF engine  ;)

ARG01

Quote from: feline on March 30, 2011, 02:23:37 PM

Sorry. I was not aware of the built in SEF as I have not used 1.0 RC4 yet.  ;)
No, I will not offer free downloads to Premium DzinerStuido themes. Please stop asking.

feline

Quote from: ARG on March 30, 2011, 02:29:11 PM
Quote from: feline on March 30, 2011, 02:23:37 PM

Sorry. I was not aware of the built in SEF as I have not used 1.0 RC4 yet.  ;)
Ups .. Then you have not seen all the new features, like category / article management ?

ARG01

I'll load it up on a test site and take another look. I have been reading some topics on the PMX site and indeed see some new functions since my last spin around the track.  ;)

feline

Great .. your comment is welcome here  ;)

Jesna

Sorry for jumping into this post.

BUt im looking for a portal there mainly is for articles. Im using wordpress for that now, but its a bit pain that users have to make 2 accounts(smf anf wordpress).

So my needs:
Articles/categories system
Users can write comments to articles
Nice frontpage layout with latest articles

/Jakob

Spoogs

http://custom.simplemachines.org/mods/index.php?action=search;type=17
Tiny portal or PortaMx

Next time start your own topic instead of bumping a solved topic ;)

Advertisement: