News:

Join the Facebook Fan Page.

Main Menu

Microsoft SQL Server 2008

Started by Rukiri89, March 29, 2011, 07:21:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rukiri89

I'm basically on a server with Microsoft Windows server 2008 iis7 and with SQL Server 2008(not the express version), I need to know if Microsofts sql server is supported, trust me I'm not paying $200 for forum software and all that I need is with SMF.

If you don't know what sql server is, here's a quick look.
.microsoft.(dot com)/sqlserver/en/us/default.aspx

My host does support MSQL 5, I however prefer sql server as that's what I'm used to.

Arantor

There is no support for SQL Server of any version. Your choices for SMF 2.0 are MySQL, PostgreSQL and SQLite, with MySQL being the most stable, tested and debugged.

Rukiri89

Never hurts to ask now does it?  I did say I had access to mysql 5, can't wait for the 6X update!  and SQL server 2010 soon.

Arantor

Sure it doesn't :) I was just relaying the situation.

I would also note that I can't see there being support for SQL Server any time soon, the abstraction layer doesn't really provide for it since one of the techniques SMF makes a lot of use of does not exist in SQL Server at all. (I have actually tried to write MSSQL support for SMF and ran into more than one significant headache)

ziycon

Quote from: Arantor on March 29, 2011, 08:03:56 PM
Sure it doesn't :) I was just relaying the situation.

I would also note that I can't see there being support for SQL Server any time soon, the abstraction layer doesn't really provide for it since one of the techniques SMF makes a lot of use of does not exist in SQL Server at all. (I have actually tried to write MSSQL support for SMF and ran into more than one significant headache)
I'd be interested to know what issues you ran into while trying to get SMF working with mssql?

Arantor

SMF relies heavily on two things: FIND_IN_SET (lots of things) and LIMIT x, y (to step through row sets), of which neither had particularly workable solutions that I found, at least without getting into dynamically rewriting every query on the fly to include the ROW_NUMBER variable.

ziycon

Interesting... so it wasn't a case of it couldn't be done, just time consuming and slightly awkward.

Arantor

Did I say it couldn't be done? No, I said there was more than one significant headache, and given how SMF's abstraction layer, it's more than slightly awkward. Even PostgreSQL, which is much closer to MySQL than MSSQL is, has more than one significant issue outstanding.

ziycon

Quote from: Arantor on April 05, 2011, 07:31:25 AM
Did I say it couldn't be done? No, I said there was more than one significant headache, and given how SMF's abstraction layer, it's more than slightly awkward. Even PostgreSQL, which is much closer to MySQL than MSSQL is, has more than one significant issue outstanding.
It was a rhetorical question, I wasn't putting words in your mouth, thanks for you help. I'll give it a bash anyway and see how I get on.

Advertisement: