Section visible but inaccesible

Started by Baross, April 01, 2011, 08:34:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Baross

Hi.
Can i make one section of the forum inaccessible to regular members but also visible to them ?...so they can see the Section on index page, but when they try to enter deny their access and give them an error : "You dont have the permission to access this forum. Please do the following...blah blah"..

Is this possible?

Illori

that is not possible by default. you can check the mod site and create a mod request if you dont find one to do what you want.

Baross

Thanks.
I found this: http://custom.simplemachines.org/mods/index.php?mod=2309
but this is not working on 2.0 RC5...anyone know any mod exactly like this ?
I can`t belive that those options are not included in the default installation.
Those permissions are something very necesary in order to have complete control of your board.
So, if anyone can make something like this mod, i would appreciate it.
Thank you.

Illori

please post in the support thread for that mod if you have any questions about it.

Baross

I don`t have any questions about that mod because is not supported by smf 2.0 RC5...i was looking for something similar.

Spoogs

It works just fine in RC5 actually...

Baross

How come ?...i tried to install it ..it gave me that error "this package is not compatible with your version" - or something like that...if i install it manually, it works?

Illori

you need to use version emulation which most likely was discussed in the support thread for the mod you are trying to install.

Baross

too much bother for a basic feature of a decent board...but thanks anyway.

Spoogs

too much bother..

Hmm lets see
Admin>>packages..scroll down click the advanced button change the version to whatever the mod says is compatible, install the mod as normal (make sure to revert the emulation by clicking advanced again). Yep thats so much more work than doing without a the mod... anyway thats your choice.

The point however is that if you bothered to go to the mods support topic version emulation has been explained to death in just about all mod support topics.

Arantor

Honestly, if it's too much work to install, it's going to be too much work to configure that mod, which is the main reason I gave it away to someone else to maintain (abandon) in the first place since I was fed up trying to explain to people why it did what it said it would do.

Baross

i dont think i follow...but i dont think i want to though. Anyway..someone close this. It`s becoming...i don`t know..

Arantor

The mod rips out the normal board access system entirely, and moves it entirely to permissions. Which means, amongst other things, you can actually prevent people going in boards. But so many people failed to read the mod's page which explains this, and complained that it broke their forum, even though they were warned up front that's what it did.

A need to make boards visible but inaccessible is not a 'necessary core feature', it doesn't usually provide much benefit other than telling your members you have an area that they're not allowed to see.

Baross

...And tell them what they have to do in order to gain access to that area...it might not be a core feature but it`s a damn usefull one...in my opinion.

Arantor

Considering that it often amounts to a "You're not worthy" split in the community, I'd actually say it's not that useful (and I'm speaking as someone who wrote a mod to specifically make it possible)

Baross

..i don t know...i think it is useful ..and so are those who first replied in the mod`s thread.
I want to make my members write more if they want to access one particular area of the forum. So i think this mod would do that work. But i just cant install it. I tried on a local copy of my forum, i did what someone said earlier, Advanced -> set RC2 but when i try to install it it gives a few errors on ManageBoards.template.php i think.. i edited after that and the forum gives a sql error on index now. So do i give up ??..i guess i wont.
I ll try again , manually tomorrow..

Arantor

Try RC3 not RC2 as there were some changes in the template.

Baross

Ok..thank you. I think i`ve seen that and i edited it manually ... before was <tr> now is <dd> ...

Sleezy

Maybe its you theme, or a server error?
SMFNew Advocate for SMFNew (Dagger)

Spoogs

This is not a theme issue, it does require manual edits which have been noted in the mods support topic for RC4 (same info is good for RC5)

Advertisement: