News:

SMF 2.1.4 has been released! Take it for a spin! Read more.

Main Menu

Autodelete unactivated accounts

Started by dschwab9, January 01, 2004, 12:20:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dschwab9

A lot of people signup and enter an invalid email, so the account never gets activated.  An option to automatically delete unactivated accounts after X days would be nice.

[Unknown]

Compuart is already doing something about this, or at least told me he was... but, I'm guessing he's more concerned with the personal message system.

-[Unknown]

Kris

Now and then sort the members on 'last online', and the 'never' 's you can delete ;)

dschwab9

Quote from: Kris on January 01, 2004, 05:20:05 AM
Now and then sort the members on 'last online', and the 'never' 's you can delete ;)

Yeah, that is at least easy to do in SMF, it was a pain in YaBB SE.  Would still be nice if it happen automatically tho.  ;D

Or maybe even send them a reminder to activate after a week, and then delete the account after 2 weeks or something.

It would also be nice if there was a way for them to change their email address if they entered it wrong.  Perhaps let them log in without be activated, but only give them the option to change the email address. (Can't do anything else until it's activated)?

[Unknown]

Quote from: dschwab9 on January 01, 2004, 12:13:37 PM
Or maybe even send them a reminder to activate after a week, and then delete the account after 2 weeks or something.

I suggested this to Compuart, in fact ;).

-[Unknown]

Anguz

oh... this'd be nice

I once was talking with Omar Bazavilvazo about a mod for 1.5.4 that would let you put all accounts in a state were right after login, the members were asked to check their profile data (mainly email, but could be other info that one now required, like birth date or something in case you need to check the age) and submit, having then to activate it with an email sent to their address

this would make sure that all accounts were up-to-date, and like you said, if it wasn't done after some time, it could be optionally deleted (where, with the new option talked about in another thread of an accounts recycle bin, it'd be painless to recover it if the member shows up later)

I thought about a mod like this after getting sick of so many bounced notifications, cause the email addresses were wrong and such, but I knew the members were active, they just didn't update their email account when they changed it

I had completely forgotten about the idea, I guess I should write it down in case I decide to do something like this if it's not included :)
Cristián Lávaque http://cristianlavaque.com

Advertisement: