News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

Background of Posts resizing in google chrome

Started by hannah.love7, April 08, 2011, 04:49:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hannah.love7

I am running SMF2.0 RC3 with SimplePortal and Celeste theme (very basic theme).

For some time now, the background of the posts was not fitting the width of the screen, but was matching the width of the text inside the post - so it was only a problem when the topic had very short posts and therefore the background doesn't cover the width of the screen. When i installed simpleportal, i have the same problem again, apart from that the background of the posts matches the same width of my horizontal ads at the top of the page this time, and it is not effected at all by the length of the post. Strange.

Can someone point me in the right direction of how to change this? I take it this is a CSS issue which should be easily fixed? THe problem is only happening in Google Chrome browser - everything looks great in other browsers.

edit to add: i'm running simpleportal, reputation and simpleads mods.

Hj Ahmad Rasyid Hj Ismail

I can't really appreciate what you are trying to say without seeing your live site. If you can provide the address, I will try to give it a visit and give a proper comment about it.

hannah.love7

I have attached a couple of screenshots of the problem.. one with a simpleportal block added and one without.
Thanks for any help you can give - much appreciated ;-)

Joker™

Can we have the site link, as it would be much easier for us to seek for the exact problem.
Github Profile
Android apps
Medium

How to enable Post Moderation

"For the wise man looks into space and he knows there is no limited dimensions." - Laozi

All support seeking PM's get microwaved

Joker™

To me the forum seems to be alright. Can you provide me a test account for some further testing.
Github Profile
Android apps
Medium

"For the wise man looks into space and he knows there is no limited dimensions." - Laozi

Hj Ahmad Rasyid Hj Ismail

It is all looking fine to me; except there is no portal. So I do not know about it.

hannah.love7

Problem is only on google chrome. Also you may not see it unless you have a high-res screen. It also shows only on the actual post pages inside a topic (see screenshot), not the indexes. Portal is installed but no blocks are active.
Thanks for assistance ;)

edit: will PM you a test account login

Joker™

Attach this file here,

themes\<theme you are using>\css\index.css.
Github Profile
Android apps
Medium

Arantor

Um, why, when you can get it directly from the page in question?

As it happens, I'm really, really confused by this because I stepped through the DOM right up to the container div and saw nothing with even remotely approaching a width declaration, or wide margin declaration that would cause this.

hannah.love7

Attached css files.... included the portal one too incase that's any help

hannah.love7

Another piece of info which might help... when i remove the ad at the top of the page entirely... the page is totally messed up and the posts don't show at all.   I attached a screenshot of this and you can view it yourself on any of the posts in the 'offtopic' section at the very bottom of the page (i'll be adding the ad back later though as it renders the pages totally unviewable in chrome).

Joker™

Saw this in computed styles for table. As not very familiar with chrome web developer tool, so it might take some time to fix your issue.
Github Profile
Android apps
Medium

Arantor

Yeah, that's the computed width, which is what the rendered width is - does not indicate what's *making* it that width, and so unfortunately doesn't help us at this point.

Joker™

I installed the SP with Celeste theme on RC3 and it worked very well. So left with the ad mod.

hannah.love7 can you try to disable the ad mod for a while and see the results then.
Github Profile
Android apps
Medium

hannah.love7

Disabling simpleads just makes the forum totally messed up - same as the attached picture in my last post.

Disabling simpleportal changes the problem. I have disabled the portal now if you want to look at the effect.  The post pages appear correct on all pages, except for pages which have very short posts and then it is resizing to match the width of the post until someone posts a longer message on the page. See my test post here: http://www.donnaforex.com/forum/index.php?topic=3400.msg82830#msg82830 for an example.

hannah.love7

Quote from: Joker™ on April 10, 2011, 08:29:05 AM
I installed the SP with Celeste theme on RC3 and it worked very well. So left with the ad mod.

hannah.love7 can you try to disable the ad mod for a while and see the results then.

I did have a little custom programming done to add ads to the 4th post on each post page a while back - maybe something to do with it. ***sheepish*** I figured this was just something very simple which is why i came here to ask for help, didn't realize it was actually more complicated ... so i should probably just take this back to the programmer i guess.

Joker™

Right now even in opera11 and firefox4 your posts are showing like they did in chrome.
Github Profile
Android apps
Medium

Joker™

One quick fix I can suggest is

Open theme\<theme you are using>\css\index.css (Make backup of file before using it)

Code (Find:) Select
/* Tables should show empty cells. */
table
{
empty-cells: show;
}

Code (Replace it with:) Select
/* Tables should show empty cells. */
table
{
empty-cells: show;
              width: 100%;
}

This should fix your problem, but still I'm amazed that how table layout reached in your post pages as for that page Display.template.php is used which doesn't use table layout at all. Maybe the portal did that.

You should ask the mod author about this for sure.
Github Profile
Android apps
Medium

hannah.love7

That fixed it, joker... thankyou  ;D Portal working too.

Advertisement: