News:

Wondering if this will always be free?  See why free is better.

Main Menu

[2.1/3.0] Deny Access to board

Started by Illori, January 31, 2011, 06:26:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Illori

Several times I have seen posts where a user wants to have a member group with access to a certain board, but when person x is also in another group they want that person because they are in this additional group to be denied access to 1 or more boards which at this time is not possible. I was wondering if in the future it would be possible to add the ability to deny access to boards if you have deny permissions enabled in the admin panel.

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

I have suggested the same actually in the past :) I believe this will not happen for 2.0 though, but possibly for the following releases then ;)
Slava
Ukraini!

"Before you allow people access to your forum, especially in an administrative position, you must be aware that that person can seriously damage your forum. Therefore, you should only allow people that you trust, implicitly, to have such access." -Douglas

How you can help SMF

Illori

sounds good ;) and i think could be very helpful by that time.

Arantor

I did actually write a mod that would make it possible, but too many people didn't bother to read the instructions so there was no way I was going to maintain it (you can try manually installing it though, look for View/Enter Board Permissions, which effectively turns board access into a real permission and promptly removes the access thingy from the board configuration, it isn't elegant but it worked when I first wrote it)

Norv

Thank you for the proposal. :)

Just noting here, for further reference, another topic on this. (and not the only one)
allow/deny membergroups to access boards
To-do lists are for deferral. The more things you write down the later they're done... until you have 100s of lists of things you don't do.

File a security report | Developers' Blog | Bug Tracker

Also known as Norv on D* | Norv N. on G+ | Norv on Github

emanuele

This is in 2.1.

Friendly bump to remember to move the topic later.

Take a peek at what I'm doing! ;D

Hai bisogno di supporto in Italiano?

Aiutateci ad aiutarvi: spiegate bene il vostro problema: no, "non funziona" non è una spiegazione!!
1) Cosa fai,
2) cosa ti aspetti,
3) cosa ottieni.

Darkness_Black

Quote from: emanuele on December 19, 2012, 04:47:35 AM
This is in 2.1.

Friendly bump to remember to move the topic later.

Very Good.

Translator - Brazilian

Não respondo MP de ajuda, Poste sua duvida no forum!!! Se alguém te Ajudou Agradeça!!!

Arantor

Is it? I'm curious because I'm looking through SMF 2.1 from a few days ago's Github repo and I can't see it.

(I was curious to see how it had been done, I know I implemented it but I hated how the UI looked and wanted to see if it had been improved upon.)

EDIT: A kind soul explained how to enable this (i.e. Admin > Forum > Boards > Settings > Enable the option to deny board access based on membergroup then it becomes an option...) That's functional but not very intuitive :/

emanuele

The usual A X D with radio buttons.
But in the membergroup page is quite ugly...

Aiutateci ad aiutarvi: spiegate bene il vostro problema: no, "non funziona" non è una spiegazione!!
1) Cosa fai,
2) cosa ti aspetti,
3) cosa ottieni.

Arantor

That's why I said about improving upon it; I didn't like doing much the same in Wedge (but with even *more* options >_<)

emanuele

For reference:
* the board edit/add page:

* and the membergroups page:

There is an alignment error too...I noticed it just now...no, probably it was intended...my memory is weak...

1) Cosa fai,
2) cosa ti aspetti,
3) cosa ottieni.

Advertisement: