News:

Wondering if this will always be free?  See why free is better.

Main Menu

[Official mod] Facebook Connect

Started by ShoeLace1291, April 09, 2011, 04:21:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ShoeLace1291

I think a really cool idea for v3.0 would be to integrate a facebook connect login feature.  It would let users register using their facebook connect session but would still add a member account to the SMF database to track posts.  It would also be cool to automatically set the facebook user's avatar to their default facebook profile photo.

Also would be cool to have an option to allow only facebook accounts.  I think this would also help to improve board security from autospammers.

Thoughts?
LenseReflex.com- The ultimate resource for beginner and amateur photographers... galleries, guides, tutorials, discussions, wikis, monthly contests, and much more!

Arantor

I do not expect this will be adopted by default, the dev team have been unwilling historically to include services that depend on third parties, even the use of OpenID is surprising in that respect.

As for "preventing" spam, I doubt it given how many fake accounts there are on FB.

Spoogs

Also there is already a mod for that.
Import FB avatar and much more already included, the next release will allow FB only registrations and more.

kingjazz

I think it's a great idea, and it does not add any extra security issues because you still have to register on the forum in the same way, the integration to the FB account happens after the registration is finished...it just makes it easier for the user ;)

And it also opens up for a lot more possibilities on integrating social media functions to your forum ;)

But of course, even if integrated, this should be an options that can be turned on by will, and probably be turned off by default :)

Facebook do often make some changes without too much of a notice, so it might give the developers a bit of headache, but in my opinion it is worth it ;)

Kindred

as noted: SMF as a core forum does not use third party connections. There ar emods and bridges (some of them even official) but it is unlikely that such would be part of the base product
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Arantor

QuoteSMF as a core forum does not use third party connections

Other than OpenID, of course :P

Kindred

Opened is not actually a third party thing, becaus it's not limited to any single third party...  Its a standard, notbsomething that requires an account or connection to any specific other site.   SMF cn actually act as an openid provider for other openid sites as well.
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Arantor

QuoteSMF cn actually act as an openid provider for other openid sites as well.

Since when? Did you break feature lock again?

~DS~

"There is no god, and that's the simple truth. If every trace of any single religion were wiped out and nothing were passed on, it would never be created exactly that way again. There might be some other nonsense in its place, but not that exact nonsense. If all of science were wiped out, it would still be true and someone would find a way to figure it all out again."
~Penn Jillette – God, NO! – 2011

Arantor

Quote from: Dismal Shadow on April 09, 2011, 09:48:18 PM
Facebook is standard nowadays. :P

So's gopher:// but you don't see that being used :P

Kindred

Facebook is not "standard" except by facebook users.

There are millions of forum users who don't use and don't want to use facebook.

OpenID, on the other hand is used by a dozen different sites and is actually A standard (not standard... A STANDARD, which is different)

And Arantor... no, we didn't "break feature lock".  Someone came up with a way to do it as an add-on
Слaва
Украинi

Arantor

QuoteAnd Arantor... no, we didn't "break feature lock".  Someone came up with a way to do it as an add-on

Then don't say it in a way that implies it's built in :P

MotherBoard

Although Facebook rules the world, I applaud not developing anything specific to third party applications...its too much and too godlike...

Norv

Quote from: ShoeLace1291 on April 09, 2011, 04:21:52 AM
I think a really cool idea for v3.0 would be to integrate a facebook connect login feature.  It would let users register using their facebook connect session but would still add a member account to the SMF database to track posts.  It would also be cool to automatically set the facebook user's avatar to their default facebook profile photo.

Also would be cool to have an option to allow only facebook accounts.  I think this would also help to improve board security from autospammers.

Thoughts?

Thank you for the suggestion.
Well, for the forum itself, as long as designed as 2.0 is (core forum + mods) indeed we wouldn't necessarily be keen in integrating external services in core.
For 3.0 however, the landscape may change from what we may be used today. Core will always be only that, a core, but adding modules, including additional authentication modules, may be easier to do (for example, directly from the installer), and we're also targeting a much more developed area of official modules to choose from. I'm sure we will keep it in mind.
To-do lists are for deferral. The more things you write down the later they're done... until you have 100s of lists of things you don't do.

File a security report | Developers' Blog | Bug Tracker

Also known as Norv on D* | Norv N. on G+ | Norv on Github

robinson01

that will be great,i think is going to be useful because facebook is a very popular website in the world.

KensonPlays

Xarcell

I read the title, not the message. I have to say: "Noooooooooooo!"

Eliana Tamerin

By the time SMF 3 comes out, Google+ integration will be more important. ;)
Do NOT PM me for support.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 is OUT!
SimplePortal Project Manager
Download | Docs
SimplePortal: Power of Simplicity!

Norv

Quote from: Eliana Tamerin on October 09, 2011, 09:06:24 AM
By the time SMF 3 comes out, Google+ integration will be more important. ;)

Hehe.

Xarcell, why would an official mod, offering an additional authentication method, be a bad idea?
To-do lists are for deferral. The more things you write down the later they're done... until you have 100s of lists of things you don't do.

File a security report | Developers' Blog | Bug Tracker

Also known as Norv on D* | Norv N. on G+ | Norv on Github

Fustrate

I'd rather see it as a(n official) plugin, along with all of the other random login options. Provide the ability to easily hook into the authentication system, and then we won't have to worry about some new thing popping up or Google changing their API every three days :P
Steven Hoffman
Former Team Member, 2009-2012

Advertisement: