News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

Outdated SMF & Bots

Started by wvanfleet, April 11, 2011, 12:58:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wvanfleet

I have SMF 1.0.12.  Every day bots sign up, despite all precautions.  When I try to upgrade, it tells me don't do it.  There is some error, apparently with regard to a smileyface upgrade (and for all I know something else also).  My forum has been rendered useless.

I am assuming that top priority is to upgrade.  But I don't know how.  I have zero technical knowledge.  I don't know how to do much of anything.

wvanfleet

I made a mistake.

SMF File                     Your Version
SMF Package          SMF     1.1.11
Sources                            1.1.11
Default Templates             1.1
Language Files                  1.1

Kays

Hi. 1.1.11 isn't that out of date. :)

How are you trying to do the upgrade? Are you using the link in the Admin CP or Package manager?

If at first you don't succeed, use a bigger hammer. If that fails, read the manual.
My Mods

wvanfleet

wvanfleet

When I try to install, I get:

Error in Package Installation
At least one error was encountered during a test installation of this package. It is strongly recommended that you do not continue with installation unless you know what you are doing, and have made a backup very recently. This error may be caused by a conflict between the package you're trying to install and another package you have already installed, an error in the package, a package which requires another package that you don't have installed yet, or a package designed for another version of SMF.

NanoSector

My Mods / Mod Builder - A tool to easily create mods / Blog
"I've heard from a reliable source that the Answer is 42. But, still no word on what the question is."

wvanfleet

See, I have no idea what that means.  I said that I don't know anything.  An edit of what?  How?

wvanfleet

Okay, I looked at it.  I don't see any links or anything I can do.  I just see stuff that I don't understand, about updating different components.  It doesn't tell me how to do it.

Kays

When you try to install it. How many files show an error?

If at first you don't succeed, use a bigger hammer. If that fails, read the manual.
My Mods

wvanfleet

I'm not sure what you mean by "try to install it," but when I clicked on the link, it ran tests and found only one file that failed, namely, ./Sources/ManageSmileys.php.  It had a button for me to click to install, but I didn't do that, what with the terrifying message I got, quoted above.

Kays

Yep, that's just what I meant. :)

Go ahead and install the mod ignoring the error. Your forum won't explode. When done, attach that file to a post and I'll try to correct it. Then you'll need to do the upgrade again to 1.1.13.  If there are many errors doing that, please post them. If it's only one, go ahead with the upgrade and attach that file also.

My Mods

wvanfleet

I did it!!  Thank you so much for giving me that courage!

Now do you think this will stop the bots?  No matter how high the visual verification, they keep on coming, at least one per day, sometimes more.

Illori

Kays

Please attach the file ManageSmileys.php from the Sources folder to a post so that I can do the correction on it.

Can't help much with the bot problem. Do check for the suggestions in the multitude of topics on this subject. On my forum I use the StopForumSpam mod and it seems to work fairly well.

My Mods

wvanfleet

How do I attach that file?

Illori

use the full reply and click on the link "attachments and other options" then you can attach the file.

Kays

Download it from your site using a FTP client. Then press on the "Reply" button in this topic to take you to the post page. Under the post box there an "Attachments and other options" link. Click on that to attach a file.

Just in case you do ask: How do I use FTP? / What is FTP?

My Mods

wvanfleet

Okay, thanks.  But how do I download that file to my computer?

Illori

using an ftp client like Kays explained

Advertisement: