Outdated SMF & Bots

Started by wvanfleet, April 11, 2011, 12:58:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wvanfleet

Thank you for inquiring.  My main concern has been doing something about the daily spam and/or bots.  They have rendered my forum useless.  I have had to stop registration.  I thought maybe the problem was that my forum needed to be upgraded, and I had tried, but was having problems.  The forum is now upgraded, but the main problem persists.

I have wanted to install Anti-Spam Verification Questions for SMF 1.1.7.  But it seems to download to my computer rather than downloading into the server.  I don't know how to install it.  I tried reading what was recommended, and it is supposed to be as easy as one click, but I haven't found out how to do it yet.  I realize that my being a novice doesn't help.  I feel like i'm just complaining and dumb.  I was going to spend even more time reading and experimenting and trying to do it myself before asking again for more help, but I haven't had the time.  It would be so great if someone could just tell me the steps to follow.

Illori

you will need to look at this Package Manager you will also need to look for the version emulation mod in order to be able to install this one.

wvanfleet

I have looked in Package Manager, but have not found anything that helps.  I don't know what  a "version emulation mod" means, or how to look for it.  I wish I were not such a novice.  I'm sure your comments are of help to some.  But I remain lost.  I don't have time to do several hours of studying right now.  I wish someone just new what steps I need to take.

Illori

check the mod site for version emulation it is a mod.

wvanfleet

I see now that the Anti-Spam Verification Questions for SMF 1.1.7 probably won't install in my SMF 1.1.13, and that I would first have to install a version emulation mod, and then trick the Anti-Spam Verification Questions for SMF 1.1.7 into thinking the forum was SMF 1.1.7.  That might get it installed, maybe.  Then it might not work.  And if anything went wrong, I would be editing files, which I've never done.  The bottom line is that I probably can't install this mod and therefore I can't stop the spambots in this way, at least without risking ruining my forum.

Does anyone know of a good way to stop the spambots, a way that a novice like me can use?

NanoSector

My Mods / Mod Builder - A tool to easily create mods / Blog
"I've heard from a reliable source that the Answer is 42. But, still no word on what the question is."

wvanfleet

Thank you for the link.  But it seems to have everything except what I'm looking for.  I want to stop the spambots by asking registrants some questions spambots won't be able to answer.

NanoSector

Quote from: wvanfleet on April 28, 2011, 10:54:55 AM
Thank you for the link.  But it seems to have everything except what I'm looking for.  I want to stop the spambots by asking registrants some questions spambots won't be able to answer.
You can better stop them at the door then to let them in but block them then...
"I've heard from a reliable source that the Answer is 42. But, still no word on what the question is."

wvanfleet

Are you saying that's what CloudFlare does?  How can I know that?

NanoSector

Quote from: wvanfleet on April 28, 2011, 12:12:57 PM
Are you saying that's what CloudFlare does?  How can I know that?
That is what cloudflare does. CloudFlare uses a certain blacklist (I don't remember it's name, project honeypot?) to block bad IPs before they can access your website.

http://www.cloudflare.com/plans.html

wvanfleet

Well, I found keycaptcha for smf 1.1.13, and I downloaded it to my computer.  Then I went to package manager which wants me to upload "the file."  But "the file" is actually 14 files, and I can only upload one.  Then I get the error message that its not the proper file type, which must be a zip.  So I don't understand how I am supposed to upload and install those 14 files.

wvanfleet

Now I archived all the files into archive.zip and tried to upload.  Error:  Check directory permissions.  I have no idea what that means.  How do I check those permissions?

wvanfleet

Tried again.  This time:  The package you tried to upload either is not a valid package or has become corrupted

wvanfleet

I'm sorry, but I don't use twitter and I received nothing by email.  I don't know what your answers were.  I went back to the other site because I thought I would hear something there.  Please forgive me for my clumsiness.  I am a novice.  So I still don't know what your answers are.  And I don't know what the relationship is between these two sites, or whom I'm talking to or should be talking to.

wvanfleet

And I'm puzzled if it looks like I sent something via twitter, because I have never used it and don't know how to.

Kays

Spammer, just deleted him and his posts(s).

Quote from: wvanfleet on April 28, 2011, 11:28:41 PM
Well, I found keycaptcha for smf 1.1.13, and I downloaded it to my computer.  Then I went to package manager which wants me to upload "the file."  But "the file" is actually 14 files, and I can only upload one.  Then I get the error message that its not the proper file type, which must be a zip.  So I don't understand how I am supposed to upload and install those 14 files.

Is this a valid SMF mod? Normally mods are zipped and should be uploaded as such.

If at first you don't succeed, use a bigger hammer. If that fails, read the manual.
My Mods

wvanfleet

Oh, a spammer.  Thanks!  I have to go to bed but I'll be back in the morning.  I don't know the answer to your question.  It seemed like a valid SMF mod.

Kays

Where did you download it from?

If at first you don't succeed, use a bigger hammer. If that fails, read the manual.
My Mods

KeyCAPTCHA Support

Quote from: wvanfleet on April 29, 2011, 01:00:49 AM
Oh, a spammer.  Thanks!  I have to go to bed but I'll be back in the morning.  I don't know the answer to your question.  It seemed like a valid SMF mod.
Funny to be deleted and banned to respond on my own plugin while all posts (BTW, unclear) from this thread by wvanfleet are botted by a few bots all over all social networks .
For example, in twitter through
  • hxxp:twitter.com/EscalateBiz [nonactive]

I  immediately replied by my Tweet
  • hxxp:twitter.com/#!/KeyCAPTCHA/status/63814323201511424 [nonactive]
to the 1st Tweet republishing 1st post by wvanfleet on KeyCAPTCHA:

• hxxp:twitter.com/#!/EscalateBiz/status/63808980304150528 [nonactive]
duplicating and dispersing your questions all over internet, BTW, unclear questions!

As well as tried here but was deleted and blocked
As I understood you are not reading answers, but can you, please, stop spamming all internet with them?

Once more, please open support ticket on hxxp:keycaptcha.com [nonactive] site from under logged in user to be answered in the most
rapid (prompt),

• efficient,
  • centralized,
  • interacive
  • and context-oriented (based on all your already registered with us data without the need of duplications, desambiguations all over internet)
way

Note that all your posts (by wvanfleet) are republished to social networks.
I'm puzzled who is spammer and why is blocked/deleted here

I could not insert full URLs linked. Plz use copy paste into browser

wvanfleet

[As I understood you are not reading answers, but can you, please, stop spamming all internet with them?]

Please note I have no idea how that is happening.  I don't have a twitter account (to my knowledge).  I will go back to the KeyCaptchaSupport site.

Advertisement: