News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

After Upgrade to 2.x: All Regular Members Cannot Post!

Started by justmichael, April 12, 2011, 10:18:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

justmichael

Hi. Apparently I've done something wrong. After upgrading from 1.1 to 2 RC5, my members can no longer make posts. If they create a new topic or try to reply to an existing one, they get this error message:

An Error Has Occurred!
You are not allowed access to this section.

As you can see from the attached screen shot, both of these are allowed for "Regular Members" which I assume is what all existing and new members are, by default.

kat

Firstly, check there membergroup's permissions.

Then, it might be good to go to Admin>Packages>File permissions and setting that to "Standard".

Let us know how that goes, OK?

SlammedDime

K@ - what would file permissions have to do with a role permission error?

OP - you can go to an individual's profile on the forum and view that specific person's permission profile and it will show you what permissions they have or don't have and what group has assigned them.  That should help you narrow down a little bit.
SlammedDime
Former Lead Customizer
BitBucket Projects
GeekStorage.com Hosting
                      My Mods
SimpleSEF
Ajax Quick Reply
Sitemap
more...

kat

Quote from: SlammedDime on April 12, 2011, 01:55:31 PM

My thinking was that if certain files were read-protected, it might cause that error.

Obviously, it would seem, I was wrong. ;)

justmichael

Quote from: K@ on April 12, 2011, 01:33:05 PM
Firstly, check there membergroup's permissions.

Then, it might be good to go to Admin>Packages>File permissions and setting that to "Standard".

Let us know how that goes, OK?
Sorry, that did not work. Still cannot post, same error message.

justmichael

OP - you can go to an individual's profile on the forum and view that specific person's permission profile and it will show you what permissions they have or don't have and what group has assigned them.  That should help you narrow down a little bit.

I created a new account called "newtest", authenticated, but was denied access (same error message as above). I checked the user permissions and they appear to be normal (see attached screen shot)

SlammedDime

There is a dropdown there at the very top, "Board specific permissions for:"... can you change that to one of the boards you're trying to post in and see what is shows for those permissions?
SlammedDime
Former Lead Customizer
BitBucket Projects
GeekStorage.com Hosting
                      My Mods
SimpleSEF
Ajax Quick Reply
Sitemap
more...

justmichael

I think we're getting close to the problem :)
The drop-down only shows two boards out of over 12.  Incidentally (or coincidentally), those are the only two boards that Guests are allowed to view.  Regular Members *should* have access to all boards, of which there are about a dozen. But none of those show up in the drop-down menu.

SlammedDime

If they don't show up, that just means they don't have any specific permission profiles, which is a good thing.

If you don't mind (understandable if you do), I'd like to take a first hand look at your permissions and admin settings to see what is going on.  Any of the current team members here can vouch for me.  You can create a new account and assign it to the admin group and PM me the login info, and once I'm done, I can delete the account.
SlammedDime
Former Lead Customizer
BitBucket Projects
GeekStorage.com Hosting
                      My Mods
SimpleSEF
Ajax Quick Reply
Sitemap
more...

justmichael

No problem. Just PM me your email address so we can get you set up.

SlammedDime

There were/are two problems.  First was the language files.  You still had the 1.1.x version of the English UTF8 english files installed, which needed to be replaced by the 2.0 version.  I took care of that one for you.

The second one is your Faux theme.  That theme is made for SMF 1.1.x and will not work on SMF 2.0.  It will either need to be manually upgraded or you'll need to find another theme.  I've reset everyone to use the default Curve theme for now, and used the 'newtest' account to post and was able to do so.
SlammedDime
Former Lead Customizer
BitBucket Projects
GeekStorage.com Hosting
                      My Mods
SimpleSEF
Ajax Quick Reply
Sitemap
more...

Advertisement: