News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

Moving from Sub-Directory to a Sub-Domain

Started by Jimmy05, April 13, 2011, 05:17:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jimmy05

Hi,

If I am able to do this I can still run my site through Cloud Flare. I can't leave my forum as a sub-directory (if I am to stay on Cloud Flare) because for whatever reason it won't let me upload files for longer than 30 seconds with the Cloud Flare service, even after trying to edit the php.ini. If it's a subdomain I can tell Cloud Flare not to run the service for the sub-domain.

Would this move be hard to do? I know a lot of paths would change, and I'm pretty sure the repair_settings.php would take care of the majority of it, right? I'm just trying to figure everything out that I would have to do before I actually do it so it goes as smooth as possible.

Thanks,
Jimmy

Hj Ahmad Rasyid Hj Ismail

So I take it as you are moving to another host or something. Basically, the sub-directory is almost the same as sub-domain. The only thing is you have a better looking url than a sub-directory with sub-domain.

It is nothing difficult and as you have researched into it, repair_settings.php will cover most of it. You can always come here and ask more if you difficulties.

The most important thing to note is to always make backups before proceedings. My additional advise will be: do not delete your current forum until you have your new one fully working using your backups.

Advertisement: