News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

WAP2 improvements

Started by NanoSector, April 19, 2011, 02:36:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NanoSector

Well, there COULD be some improvements to WAP2.

Been using it for a while on my Samsung Wave 525, works pretty fine, but there are a few things that bother me.

1. Going ALL the way back to the forum index before being able to click on the Unread Replies link.
I'm one who uses that link pretty much (and people who are waiting for a reply), I think it should be on every page.

2. Option to enable/disable image display.
I once accidently attacked a member (not here!) because I thought his post was empty. Don't want this to happen again.

3. Option to enable/disable links.
Irritates me like hell. I see a funny article, there's a "Read more..." 'link' under it but I can't read further because it's locked...

Thank you.
My Mods / Mod Builder - A tool to easily create mods / Blog
"I've heard from a reliable source that the Answer is 42. But, still no word on what the question is."

SlammedDime

In this day and age of smart phones, I don't see the benefit being worth the time.  I'd rather see the time spent on a decent mobile theme for smart phones.
SlammedDime
Former Lead Customizer
BitBucket Projects
GeekStorage.com Hosting
                      My Mods
SimpleSEF
Ajax Quick Reply
Sitemap
more...

NanoSector

Personally Id rather see improvements to whats there currently :P
"I've heard from a reliable source that the Answer is 42. But, still no word on what the question is."

SlammedDime

Android and CrApple i-Products account for over 75% of mobile users, and growing... what arguments would you have to invest time in improving a dying/decreasing technology?  Heck, I hope wap/wap2/imode is dropped from 3.0.
SlammedDime
Former Lead Customizer
BitBucket Projects
GeekStorage.com Hosting
                      My Mods
SimpleSEF
Ajax Quick Reply
Sitemap
more...

NanoSector

People still have devices that support WAP2, is my argument.

Arantor

People still have devices that only support HTML 2.0 and no AJAX but is that a reason to continue supporting it?

NanoSector

Yes.

My phone supports HTML5, but it likes WAP2.

Arantor

If you're campaigning for supporting older stuff, why aren't you campaigning for similar updates to WAP?

NanoSector

Because I cannot access it. And I am not looking to update for older stuff, just WAP2.

And if you do not like the idea just do not accept it but that means another irritated WAP2 user...

Arantor

Yes you can, you just haven't done so. Stick ;wap on the end of a URL (or ?wap if you're just calling index.php)

Or try imode.

But you've missed my point: you're inconsistent. You're asking for updates to WAP2, which is on so many levels out of date. So is WAP support, but there are probably more devices out there that support WAP and not WAP2, so why aren't you asking for updates to WAP as well?

Fact is, no-one else is supporting WAP/WAP2 any more because any modern phone with any halfway decent connection is going to use HTML5 and a proper mobile theme would be infinitely better for the millions of users who actually use their phones for browsing/posting - the number of people who do actually use WAP2 mode from a device that can't go beyond it is pretty small these days.

NanoSector

Quote from: Arantor on April 20, 2011, 06:40:39 AM
Yes you can, you just haven't done so. Stick ;wap on the end of a URL (or ?wap if you're just calling index.php)

Or try imode.

But you've missed my point: you're inconsistent. You're asking for updates to WAP2, which is on so many levels out of date. So is WAP support, but there are probably more devices out there that support WAP and not WAP2, so why aren't you asking for updates to WAP as well?
Because I'm focused at WAP2 now, not WAP.

QuoteFact is, no-one else is supporting WAP/WAP2 any more because any modern phone with any halfway decent connection is going to use HTML5 and a proper mobile theme would be infinitely better for the millions of users who actually use their phones for browsing/posting - the number of people who do actually use WAP2 mode from a device that can't go beyond it is pretty small these days.
My phone can get beyond WAP2, but it just doesn't fit nice then.

Arantor

Even with a nice mobile theme?

NanoSector

"I'm focused at WAP2"

Else I would already been suggesting a mobile theme...

Arantor

I was referring to your 'doesn't fit nice' comment.

When you can show me any of the other forum packages that still support WAP2 with a dedicated theme, it might be taken seriously, but to spend time enhancing a platform that's shrinking and disappearing - it's like burning time on IE6 support, only with a lower market share to upset.

NanoSector

I've gotten less interest in this anyway. Let this die please.

texasman1979

I beleive that wap2 will still have a reasonable enough following for a good while yet. This fone as well as my previous blackberry, defaults to wap2 simply because of screen resolution. Not everyone is rich and can pay for an iphone or android. Cause the fone itself costs a lot, most of those fones dont have insurance available, and you have to pay more for the internet on them. There is a lot of reasons wap2 is and for a good while still need to be supported. And since it is supported, why not have a more substantial theme for it? Not to mention the ability to have a scaling theme that cators to wap, imode, wap2, and smart fone users. That way one grand theme would cover them all. And a scaling baby bbc editor would be nice as well.
SMF 2.0.4
SimplePortal 2.3.5

LOGIC is a FOUR letter word! :)

Antechinus

Already done it. Should work on Blackberry screen res, although I designed it mainly for 320 width. http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=431813.msg3030933#msg3030933

texasman1979

i personally use wap2, is why i contributed to this topic. will that work for a non touch screen non smart fone?
SMF 2.0.4
SimplePortal 2.3.5

Antechinus

Nope. Not a bloody chance. ;D

texasman1979

ok then!! how on earth are the poor saps that arnt rich enough to have a smart fone sposed to browse from their fone, just screw them they aint worth nothing? lol
SMF 2.0.4
SimplePortal 2.3.5

Advertisement: