News:

SMF 2.1.4 has been released! Take it for a spin! Read more.

Main Menu

Login problem

Started by Krashsite, April 21, 2011, 09:57:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sir Osis of Liver

Have a 2.0 RC5 installation that was upgraded from a clean (never used) 1.1.13 install.  No mods.  Login works normally in default theme, but if I use other themes, the header login doesn't work ("Unable to login....."), and the login page only works if "Always stay logged in" is checked.  Problem is in IE8; FF3.5 works fine.  All of the themes use the same default login scripts.

Any ideas?

Ashes and diamonds, foe and friend,
 we were all equal in the end.

- R. Waters

kat

First thought is the error log.

Anything hoopy showing, in there?

'course, if this is happening to just you and not other members of your forum, it might be your browser being weird.

Tried emptying the cache/cookies?

Tried renaming the cookie (Admin>Server settings)?

Sir Osis of Liver

Getting a lot of these in pairs, like this -

http://www.thekrashsite.com/smf20/index.php?action=login8: Undefined variable: scripturlFile: /hermes/web05/b1744/hoc.krashsite/smf20/Themes/default/Login.template.php (body_above sub template - eval?)
Line: 373 

http://www.thekrashsite.com/smf20/index.php?action=login8: Undefined variable: link_numFile: /hermes/web05/b1744/hoc.krashsite/smf20/Themes/default/Login.template.php (body_above sub template - eval?)
Line: 372 

Cookie settings don't make any difference, disabling InPrivate Filtering has no effect, cookie names are different for all of my boards.  Works fine in default theme, works in all themes in FF3.5 - problem occurs only in third party themes in IE8.  Crip tried my installation of one of his themes, and login was normal for him.

- R. Waters

IchBin™

It's likely that the themes you are using need to be upgraded. Are you using the SMF2 version of the themes you are using?
IchBin™        TinyPortal

Sir Osis of Liver

Yes, the Crip theme is current for 2.0 RC4-5.  Login worked for him.  All of the themes use the same default Login,template.php and LogInOut.php.

It's here if you want to try it -

http://www.thekrashsite.com/smf20/index.php

- R. Waters

IchBin™

I didn't have any problems logging in or out on the blackcoal theme that you have set. Both IE8 and Chrome latest worked just fine for me.
IchBin™        TinyPortal

kat

Can you go to Admin>Server settings and check "Disable evaluation of templates"?

The errors you're getting are being masked, by that.

If you clear out your error log and post the new ones, we might get somewhere.

Sir Osis of Liver

Ok, I disabled evaluation of templates.  Tried to login first using header login, next on login page with "Always stay logged in" unchecked, then with "Always stay logged in" checked.  Only the last one worked.  Did this twice, same result.  No errors in error log.

- R. Waters

kat

Try going to Admin>Server settings and renaming the cookie.

Sir Osis of Liver

The cookie name is unique (first thing I checked).  I can eliminate the problem by going to Server Settings and checking both 'Enable local storage of cookies' and 'Use subdomain independent cookies'.  I'm not using subdomains.

Why do third party themes handle login differently than the default theme?  They should be using the same login scripts.

- R. Waters

kat

Let's try to isolate this, then.

Is this happening for your members, too?

If you use a different browser?

Sir Osis of Liver

It's a project board - no members yet, but Crip tried it and was able to log in normally.  It works for me in FF3.5; the problem is in IE8.  I have cookies blocked, with my own domains whitelisted.  Changing cookie settings has no effect.  I'm also running InPrivate Filtering and an ad blocker - if I disable them it makes no difference.  I can login/out normally in the default theme.  Also have 1.1.11 and .13 boards (modded default themes) - login is normal in IE.

- R. Waters

kat

Ah... IE.

Never use it. Never will.

So, I don't have a clue, I'm afraid.

Sorry. :(

Illori

how do you know your cookie is unique? have you checked all the websites on the internet to verify that your cookie is not used anywhere else?

Sir Osis of Liver

It is unique to my SMF boards.  I had a problem once before when I installed two 1.1.11 boards and they both had the same default cookie name.  That's not the case here.  I'd already tried changing cookie name, and it has no effect.  Something is different about the third party themes, and it affects login in IE8.  It shouldn't, but it does, and I don't think it's the fault of the browser.

- R. Waters

Sir Osis of Liver

Found it.  CoalBlack does not have the cookielength select menu in the header login.  If I add it to index.template.php, the problem goes away.  The form handler requires the cookielength parameter to complete the registration.  Why it only affects IE is anybody's guess.

Interestingly (or not), when I use the login page in default theme, I get the same login error unless I check "Always stay logged in".  Same thing happens on this board.  It must not pass the cookielength parameter unless the box is checked.

"It's not a bug, it's a feature."

- R. Waters

Advertisement: