Stop Spammer help

Started by yankeestonk, April 25, 2011, 08:43:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

yankeestonk

Anyone using "Stop Spammer" mod that connects to the site "Stop Forum Spam"? I have a question whether it is better to ban a new member that appears to be spam before you approve them, or just not approve them? I'm getting a ton of daily bogus members, mostly from Russia. I was just rejecting them, but I started banning them thinking that might stop them from just re-regestering. Any thoughts?

crash56

I'm using the mod.  I don't bother banning.  I just reject them.  I'm sure other people find it worthwhile, so you'll probably get both sets of advice.  My feeling is that they'll just shift to another IP and try again.  You could ban entire spans of IPs, but then you start blocking out real members.

The Stop Forum Spam mod has taken care of a majority of the spammers attempting to get in at our forum.  We also have the forum set so it requires an Admin's approval to let a new member through.  I know it's a pain and isn't a good option for some large forums because of the workload, but we (the moderators) were checking every new member anyway in an attempt to keep out spammers, so we finally decided to check them before they got in instead of after.  Even after we approve a registration, we still make them go through the e-mail verification.  It weeds out an additional small percentage of spammers that Stop Forum Spam doesn't have listed yet. 

Advertisement: