users complain that they cannot add a signature or avatar.

Started by TKG26, April 25, 2011, 08:12:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TKG26

Hello, great software.

On my site from time to time i get users saying that they cannot add or edit there signature or avatar. Some have no ability to add it and some have had the ability but then say they cannot make the changes... I have about 4-5 users currently that have brought this to my attention. I have been at a loss as to how to solve it, 2 users simply created new accounts the problem went away.

Details about my forum:
-SMF 2.0 RC1.2
-Everyone is listed at "Regular Members"
-permissions for these members is set to allow avatars and signature
-theme used Pegasus

The most recent complaint stated : That under "modify profile" that "Forum profile" does not exist. This has been the case for other user inquires.

For a quick fix i have manual changed these users avatar and signatures for them.

Could this be browser related for some users? ANy ideas?

Spoogs

Firstly I would suggest upgrading to RC5 and see if the problem persists report back
http://download.simplemachines.org/

TKG26

Thanks, ill ask my host if he can upgrade this for me...  Hopefully its not to involved

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

The problem sounds to me like Regular users don't have the permissions to modify their profiles, so upgrading would probably not fix this - even though upgrading is highly recommended.

You should check the regular members permissions, and make sure they have the permissions to modify their signatures and profiles.
Slava
Ukraini!
"Before you allow people access to your forum, especially in an administrative position, you must be aware that that person can seriously damage your forum. Therefore, you should only allow people that you trust, implicitly, to have such access." -Douglas

How you can help SMF

TKG26

I thought it was that as well, but all users are under the same permission group and so they all have permission to use avatar and signature..

The one thing they cannot do is upload there avatar, they must use an external url as we dont host files.

I have as the admin manually made the changes for the few that have had issues.. But its a temp solution for me.

Im wondering if its browser related but its hard to say. They simply say the menu is missing from the drop down

Illori

have you created a test account and verified the issue for yourself? can you take a screenshot of the permissions in the admin panel for this group and attach it to your next post?

CapadY

Visit the profiles from a member who can and from a member who can't.
Profile - Profile-info - Show permissions

Compare the permissions and find out where the differences are.
In this way you can see where permissions are given or just are dinied.
Please, don't PM me for support unless invited.
If you don't understand this, you will be blacklisted.

TKG26

I have compared side by side permissions for 2 users and they match.

I am waiting on a users actual screen shot of there profile wich ill post here. This user has made a signature but can no longer edit it, and cannot add an avatar.

The second users problem is solved. He was simply linking to a bad source. Facebook image url he used was not correct..

Ill report back with my screen shots and the users screenshots when i get them..

If it helps my site is at www.rcottawa.com

Thanks for the input

TKG26

here is the users screenshot, he is missing one of the menu options and this seems to be the same thing for anyone that has had his issue. They either do not have the "forum profile" or they somehow loose it at some point.. Now this particular person has a signature that he put there probably when he registered? not sure, but now he cannot access forum profile to change it or add an avatar

Illori

they seem to be missing the link to edit their forum profile. can you please attach a screenshot of the permissions for the group this user is in from the admin panel?

TKG26

below is that users permissions, wich appear to be identical to everyone elses.

Illori

this is strange, can the user test in another browser?

TKG26

I'll ask him to try other browsers. But from my experience with users complaints they seem to get it from any browser. Anyway ill report back asap.

TKG26

So the user reports back that he is missing the option using bothe IE and Chrome..

This one is a mystery to me...

I myself have set up a test account in the past and was not able to duplicate the issue. It just seems i have a few guys with this strange issue..

Advertisement: