News:

Wondering if this will always be free?  See why free is better.

Main Menu

Possible security issue?

Started by dracuskaos, April 27, 2011, 10:16:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dracuskaos

Ever since Installed I have had this odd issue with the forum accepting the wrong password. I use 2 different user names one admin and one with less power. Occassionaly I forget which password is which. I probably wouldn't have noticed except that I logged into my admin account with one password then seconds later went to do an admin function and the password was rejected, so I used the OTHER password and it let me in to the admin section. If it's some kind of cookie only issue that could only happen on my machine I can live with it, but if it is something someone can exploit I figured you guys might want to know about it.

Matthew K.

Hey there, and welcome to SMF!

First of all, what version of SMF are you running? Any mods installed?

dracuskaos

sorry, 1.1.13 I just updated it, no mods. And i cleared my cookies on my computer and it did not allow me onto the site so it seems to be something involving the stay logged in forever thing. it still asks for the password but will accept anything unless administrating so i guess it isn't a security bug so much as an annoyance for me. :P

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

Ok, just so we know what to look for when trying to replicate this - What browser are you using, and since this has happened to you more than once - does it happen always? If not, then does it happen regularly? If yes, what have you done just before it happens?

I've never heard of an SMF install that would accept a wrong password....
Slava
Ukraini!

"Before you allow people access to your forum, especially in an administrative position, you must be aware that that person can seriously damage your forum. Therefore, you should only allow people that you trust, implicitly, to have such access." -Douglas

How you can help SMF

Advertisement: