News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

External Calendar usage?

Started by nickd, May 01, 2011, 04:42:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nickd

Is there a way that the calendar can be viewed outside of SMF via an unrelated web page?

I manage both the website and forum (independently) for an association. What I'd like to do is make the calendar from the forum available to visitors to the website. These visitors would be able just to view, not modify, the contents of the calendar. Forum users (well, some of them) can of course modify it.

This makes good sense because that way we only have to maintain a single calendar. With the legacy stuff I've inherited, there are independent calendars for both forum and website and data transfer is manual. Which is crazy.

Anyone done this before?

Nick

Chas Large

You can use an SSI for the calendar events in an external page on the site, see the On-Line Manual. Not used it myself but reading up about SSI should help.

Alternatively, you could just make the Calendar viewable to Guests.

Admin > Members > Permissions > Guests

Calendar    
View the calendar    < Check this item.

Guests would then see the Calendar button on the Main Menu. They can view but not change anything.
My Modifications :)  My Forum

Please DO NOT PM me with support requests. Post the problem in the appropriate Support Board so everyone can benefit from the advice given.

Advertisement: