News:

SMF 2.1.4 has been released! Take it for a spin! Read more.

Main Menu

Questions About Setting Up Moderator Permissions

Started by PenelopeQ, May 03, 2011, 08:38:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PenelopeQ

I have a few questions about my moderators as a group

I created a board for inactive and archived threads. Within it there is a 2011 and a 2010 Archives forum where we move locked old threads. Those are Read Only. There is also an Inactive thread forum that is not read only. We move threads that have been inactive for a number of months simply to clean up the main community board and forum and will move them back if requested by the thread owner.

The problem is that once my mod move threads to the archive board, they no longer have permissions as mods. I thought I gave them universal permissions to edit. But maybe since they are read only that is not the case...but then why do they not have privileges in the Inactive forum which is not read only?

I know, I set up the mods and gave them mod permissions/access...but how did I do that? I know--I should know since I did it! But I keep trying to review what I did and still can't figure how to duplicate the mod permissions for the archives so they match the community board.

Next Question
I have a private board where the mods and I can post to each other. We are not that great about checking it regualrly--I'm guilty too. It would be so convenient if I could set up on autmatic notification to all mods for ALL new posts and threads on the mod board. Is there a way to do that?

Next Question
I set up the mod board so we did not have to PM each other all the time--on the board no one is left out. But we learned that we can't use PM anyway because I am the only one who can send PMs to groups larger than 5. So how do I change the PM abilities for the mods, and can I set up a group so we can just select the group rather than typing in each name...and risking leaving someone out.

Spoogs

#3. This might help http://custom.simplemachines.org/mods/index.php?mod=2178
#2. You'd have to go to each of their profiles and change it from there
#1. Create a new permission profile based on Read Only and use that profile on the board instead
Admin>> Members>> Permissions>> Edit Profiles

PenelopeQ

Thanks.

#1.
But one of the boards is not read only.
I think what was confusing was that I did not want to have to add each person manually because I thought I'd done it differently. But what I think I had done was created a moderator group and given them unique permissions AND added them manually.
So that's resolved!

#2.
The profile has notification settings, but I cannot set up a notificatiosn for them or from there. BUT--YAY--at the bottom of each board is an option for receiving notifications regarding everything on that board.
So that's resolved!

#3.
That mod looks perfect...except I have RC5 and it only goes up to RC4. But I've signed up for notifications in case it gets updated.
So not really resolved, but nothing to do about it...and having the board notifications makes this less vital.

Spoogs

#1 actually thought you created a group for your moderators (at least thats what i got from your post :))

#2 You're right, guess I should have taken a quick look to make sure eh :P

#3 Admin>> Packages.. scroll down click 'Advanced' change RC5 to RC4, try again

Advertisement: