News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

Steam Connect

Started by Boba_Fett, May 04, 2011, 10:34:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Boba_Fett

Would it be possible that some one integrate steam connect in smf, to register ?

If so would anyone do this ? As for now i only saw steam online status etc but not a connect.

Thanks in advance, Boba Fett.

Kindred

Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Boba_Fett

Kindred

that example sucks... no offense intended.

I still can't quite figure out what you are asking...   

based on wiki, you're talking about a browser protocol steam://...    but based on that link, "steam" is some sort of blog or cms...

which one are you talking about?

Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

ShadowDog

As far as I know, Valve doesn't offer any APIs for user authentication. "Steam Connect" didn't return anything relevant in Google, so I'm going to have to say it's impossible.

area57

Steam aka Valse uses openid for the login Service

Kindred

if yuo are talking about the "steam CMS", and it uses OpenID, then you can just turn on OpenID registration for SMF.
Слaва
Украинi

agent47

Quote from: Kindred on May 17, 2011, 04:31:18 PM
if yuo are talking about the "steam CMS", and it uses OpenID, then you can just turn on OpenID registration for SMF.
Steam is not a CMS.
Here's what he's talking about | http://store.steampowered.com/
It's sort of a gaming portal. But what he's asking for is not going to be possible as Steam doesn't provide any sort of API.

PortaMx is probably the best SMF portal!

agent47

I thought this was impossible until I came across this site | http://hexgaming.net/
So I guess Valve offers their API for user authentication after all. I gotta ask the admin how he managed to this. I'll post back once I have a word with the man.
This may help | http://steamcommunity.com/dev

PortaMx is probably the best SMF portal!

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

Quote from: area57 on May 17, 2011, 04:04:27 PM
Steam aka Valse uses openid for the login Service
SMF 2.0 also supports OpenID :)
Slava
Ukraini!
"Before you allow people access to your forum, especially in an administrative position, you must be aware that that person can seriously damage your forum. Therefore, you should only allow people that you trust, implicitly, to have such access." -Douglas

How you can help SMF

Refalm

Without creating a modification for this, it seems impossible. To use Steam's OpenID, you need an API key for your website first, and it needs to be sent to the Steam website first before authentication can happen.

So simply filling in the authentication URL does nothing.

It's certainly possible, but I don't know where to begin:
http://steamcommunity.com/openid [nofollow]
Quote from: agent47 on June 02, 2011, 05:34:31 PM
So I guess Valve offers their API for user authentication after all. I gotta ask the admin how he managed to this. I'll post back once I have a word with the man.
Have you heard anything yet? This sounds like the perfect solution!

MomemtumMori

Authenticating with steam uses open id as a standard (i think) and it allows to grab various public information about a steam account, primarily the 64bits steam id (community id).

The attachment contains 2 classes, one for easy authentication with steam (very slightly modified by me) and the other to store & convert steamids.
I hope this helps you.

check hxxp:steamcommunity.com/dev [nonactive] for more infos

therise

I know this is one year thread, but I did not open new thread because I want to ask where would I need to put that Steam.php?

Arantor

In other words you just put a page based on SSI.php, with a button that has a specific link in it which diverts the user to Steam and directs them back to your forum once done through OpenID... most of which is already covered in SMF itself... and the image is from Steam's own server.

You don't even really need it in its own page. There's no real reason you couldn't just stick the button in the header.

(Oh, and by the way, your host is using an out of date and known insecure version of PHP)

Refalm

Quote from: Arantor on March 03, 2013, 01:48:09 PM
In other words you just put a page based on SSI.php, with a button that has a specific link in it which diverts the user to Steam and directs them back to your forum once done through OpenID... most of which is already covered in SMF itself... and the image is from Steam's own server.
Could you explain this further?

We built a Steam login, but we can't get it to work with OpenID.

Basically what it does now, is pull the Steam ID from the Steam API, and then insert that Steam ID as SMF user ID directly in the database (circumventing SMF completely).
I know it isn't a great solution, but we see no other possibility with SMF.

I hate how people in this thread don't even look up what Steam is, or yell "use OpenID lol" without providing any information or links on how to use SMF's OpenID implementation.

Arantor

Go look at the page in question. All it does is set up a button and points it at Steam's servers, with all the callback information in said form to have it return to SMF as an OpenID returner. The user logs in, it then returns to the server indicated (i.e. an SMF installation) with a token to log in with.

From SMF's point of view all you need to do is enable OpenID in the registration settings.

T3flon

Arantor, can you elaborate a little? I would like to implement this on my forums but I am not sure how to create the button, there are a lot of pages referenced in this post.  I have open id enabled and the login with steam image available to create a button.  Could you provide me with a little help on how exactly to link to the steam auth? 

Thank you for your time

Advertisement: