News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

SMF 2.0 Update Part Last

Started by [SiNaN], May 05, 2011, 07:08:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

[SiNaN]

Hello everyone,

It has been a long time since the last blog post about SMF development. I have been meaning to post something like this for months but there always seemed to be something new coming up, right around the corner. I apologize. This post puts an end to all of that, and we'll try to get in the habit of giving you more frequent updates while we develop SMF code for you.

During the past 9 months, we have provided periodic development builds exclusively to our charter members, announced that Simple Machines has reorganized as an NPO, released SMF 2.0 RC4/1.1.12, and SMF 2.0 RC4 Security Patch/2.0 RC5/1.1.13 and announced the license change for the SMF 2.0 final release. SMF 2.0 will not only be the long awaited stable version we all are working on getting out in the community, but the free and open source software it was meant to be from the start. As you may have read, the last change required sorting out legal matters regarding the old LLC and the new NPO. At long last, this has been completed. All that's left now is to spray some "pesticode" here and there and 2.0 final should be ready to go.

Until last week, progress following the RC5 release was slow, for various reasons. Norv and Antechinus were caught up in real life and I had health problems. At this point, there are only a few changes to make, but we have started picking up the pace again and with the legal matters solved, we will do our best to release 2.0 final as soon as possible.

So, what does this all mean? It means 2.0 final is very very close to being released. Really! I can't give an exact date, but you can trust me that we will release SMF 2.0 final by the end of May, 2011, unless we get hit by an asteroid. In the mean time thank you all for your continued support.
Former SMF Core Developer | My Mods | SimplePortal

Fustrate

This time, it's for real. Seriously. The legal stuff is all but over, and the code is damn near final. Get ready, folks.
Steven Hoffman
Former Team Member, 2009-2012

Matthew K.

Antechinus

* Antechinus likes this too. Very much.

(I made them add the bit about the asteroid)

butchs

Great.  When does 3.0 Start?
:o
I have been truly inspired by the SUGGESTIONS as I sit on my throne and contemplate the wisdom imposed upon me.

ARG01

Hold on, let me change my shorts. 

Btw, Antechinus made them add the bit about the asteroid

;D
No, I will not offer free downloads to Premium DzinerStuido themes. Please stop asking.

Fustrate

Quote from: butchs on May 05, 2011, 07:31:31 PM
Who says it hasn't already?

* Fustrate likes to say things like that to confuse people.
Steven Hoffman
Former Team Member, 2009-2012

Antechinus

Quote from: butchs on May 05, 2011, 07:31:31 PM

* Antechinus gets in early with "It'll be ready when it's ready" ;D

There actually is a branch for 3.0 already. ;)

Matthew K.

I like all of the dev posts here, so far :P

Antechinus

* Antechinus goes to find random Liberace video, just to post something Doodle doesn't like.

ARG01

Quote from: Antechinus on May 05, 2011, 07:48:18 PM
* Antechinus goes to find random Liberace video, just to post something Doodle doesn't like.

Make sure to get one that shows Liberace's smile. A handsome man he was.  ;D
No, I will not offer free downloads to Premium DzinerStuido themes. Please stop asking.

Antechinus

Matthew K.

* Labradoodle-360 decides not to come back to this topic...:P

Bigguy

This is all great news. SMF is FINALLY moving on. Hold on everyone....this is gonna be good. ;)

live627

Hmm, Houston, we (don't) have a problem!

~DS~

"There is no god, and that's the simple truth. If every trace of any single religion were wiped out and nothing were passed on, it would never be created exactly that way again. There might be some other nonsense in its place, but not that exact nonsense. If all of science were wiped out, it would still be true and someone would find a way to figure it all out again."
~Penn Jillette – God, NO! – 2011

joey791

/runs out buys telescope and checks for asteroids

Good to hear, can't wait for 2.0 final

Farjo

willemjan

billy2

Well done the devs - have you any fingernails left ?

:)

Cheers
Billy

* billy2 can sense an air of relief

Advertisement: