News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

SMF 2.0 Update Part Last

Started by [SiNaN], May 05, 2011, 07:08:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Illori

[SiNaN]

Yes, it's related to OpenID verification failing in most of the cases.
Former SMF Core Developer | My Mods | SimplePortal

Norv

Quote from: Powerbob on June 01, 2011, 04:55:14 AM
Quote............................if you don't believe me, just look at the footer

That is just cosmetic to me, it's not a public release is it!

It is not a public release, nor it is exactly "cosmetic": it is one of the steps in the process of a public release. Testing SMF on the community forum is one of the steps we take, to make sure SMF is capable to handle the load of such site, that no problems are found, and that is it at the standard we want it to be for the community. So are many other things.

Allow me to be honest about it... We did have a couple of moments of sweat during the entire process so far. It proved a mostly unwarranted sweat in the end, yes, but that is exactly why, from my point of view, SMF 2.0 needs throughout testing before going public - in the measure of our possibilities.

What is more important, and release-critical, we did have to look into OpenID issues, as said above.

If you expect me to release SMF to public as long as I see an issue with it, with the slightest doubt or potential to affect thousands of people's forums in a measure we might not consider acceptable, then allow me to be clear about it: you are not going to see it.

I apologize for the little delay from the deadline we set for ourselves. I really am sorry for that. I know, delays may happen all the time, even in commercial software projects, and at the end of the day a few days off are less likely to cause issues for people than the potential of everything not being ready. However, I am not taking it lightly and I really am sorry about it.

We are in the process of knocking down all steps of making SMF 2.0 - the stable release - available to the public, including the codebase without release-critical bugs, language packs, etc. This process has steps, and we are following them. SMF 2.0 will be available to the community when I am comfortable enough with everything it does and everything it will do, in the measure of possible.
To-do lists are for deferral. The more things you write down the later they're done... until you have 100s of lists of things you don't do.

File a security report | Developers' Blog | Bug Tracker

Also known as Norv on D* | Norv N. on G+ | Norv on Github

Arantor

Thank you, I'm actually more reassured by this one post than hordes of 'it'll be done when it's ready' toeing the party line mantra.

Though I would have to disagree about the whole 'unpleasant surprise', it's been broken for a very long time, since at least RC3, possibly even earlier.

[SiNaN]

I considered it an "unpleasant surprise" because it was found out just days before the planned release.
Former SMF Core Developer | My Mods | SimplePortal

Tweak

As you can tell from my post count, I'm much more of a lurker than a poster.

I've used SMF for a long time and have always been impressed with it. SMF 1.1 is a stable product and I would be disappointed if SMF 2 was not.

Whilst I can understand the frustration from people, like myself, who have been waiting 5 years for SMF 2 as a developer myself I can understand the issues with releasing products that cannot be deemed stable. The ones who can deem a product stable? The developers of it.

Despite all the waiting I'm sure that it will be worth it for a free product as stable and feature-packed as SMF.

Those complaining about the time being taken would also be those complaining about bugs that slipped through due to a rushed release, such is the personality of people. I'm disappointed it isn't released yet but brandishing the pitchforks and torches is hardly a mature reply for a free and volunteer-built system.

All I can request is to keep us updated, the post regarding the OpenID bug was fantastic it gave everyone a good idea what the issue was and why there is a delay and gives some idea how long such a fix should take. Obviously updating us takes you away from the work though, so not too much!

SMF and it's team have my full support - I'll be taking up a Charter Membership shortly, once I know I have the funds. Keep up the good work!

KensonPlays

Powerbob

My SMF 2.1 Beta test site; http://www.pplb.net/smf21/index.php

b4pjoe

Thanks for the updates and reasoning. Makes sense and makes me see why you don't give release dates in the first place.

butchs

I have been truly inspired by the SUGGESTIONS as I sit on my throne and contemplate the wisdom imposed upon me.

Adish - (F.L.A.M.E.R)

Thank you for the motivation guys! This is why SMF just doesn't want to let down their users :)

TotalNerds123

Ah ha, now I know the back story! Thanks you all! Any ETA on the release?

Adish - (F.L.A.M.E.R)

Very very very soon! Just keep the trust in the team. It is very soon :)

TotalNerds123

Quote from: (F.L.A.M.E.R) on June 01, 2011, 03:05:03 PM
Very very very soon! Just keep the trust in the team. It is very soon :)

Okay! I cant wait! I hope its today!

IchBin™

Quote from: b4pjoe on June 01, 2011, 02:37:22 PM
Thanks for the updates and reasoning. Makes sense and makes me see why you don't give release dates in the first place.

Hopefully the community can now see why we don't like to give dates on anything that is dependent upon volunteers. :)
IchBin™        TinyPortal

Herman's Mixen

Just in this "End of May" situation the team had be better off when they added a 14 day extra extend, I know the Devs do all they can so i just sit and wait for the "When its Ready" situation ;)

So Devs go for it and give us some nice Gold Release :P
Met vriendelijke groet, The Burglar!

House Mixes | Mixcloud | Any Intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent.
It takes a touch of genius - and a lot of courage - to move in the opposite direction. - Albert Einstein

Former Godfather of our dutch community ;)

TotalNerds123

JBlaze

Quote from: The Burglar! on June 01, 2011, 03:47:07 PM
Just in this "End of May" situation the team had be better off when they added a 14 day extra extend, I know the Devs do all they can so i just sit and wait for the "When its Ready" situation ;)

Hmmm....
Jason Clemons
Former Team Member 2009 - 2012

NanoSector

Quote from: JBlaze on June 01, 2011, 05:01:01 PM
Quote from: The Burglar! on June 01, 2011, 03:47:07 PM

Hmmm....
Slow site's slow :S

A game is something different from website software :P
I know, you can play Minecraft online (in fact, I started playing it today), but that's not website software: just a java applet.

But they have the same situations. But hey, I don't blame the SMF team for this, they take their time and that's good. It means that they are fully opting theirselfes on releasing stable software.
My Mods / Mod Builder - A tool to easily create mods / Blog
"I've heard from a reliable source that the Answer is 42. But, still no word on what the question is."

JBlaze

@Yoshi2889, you've completely missed the point...
Jason Clemons
Former Team Member 2009 - 2012

Advertisement: