News:

Wondering if this will always be free?  See why free is better.

Main Menu

SMF 2.0 Update Part Last

Started by [SiNaN], May 05, 2011, 07:08:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RvG

Quote from: ab1cor on June 06, 2011, 10:53:15 AM
SMF is the one and only medicine for vBulletin's monopoly pandemia.

+1!

sharks

In the meantime, i'm busy trying to help in the support section, to give the devs some slack from having to provide support additionally to fixing the SMF code. Let's make this thing happen ppl! I bet my one and a half cookie (the one in my hand) for a Wednesday release too! Unless the devs surprise us with an earlier release. ;)

jelv

Quote from: Antechinus on June 05, 2011, 06:09:57 PM
Personally I'm not worried about getting hassled. I'll let you in on a secret: the whole reason I insisted we give a deadline was because, having seen how this goes over the last few years, I thought that if we didn't give a deadline this thing would never happen. IOW, I'm as pissed with it as some other people are. I actually wanted the dev crew, including myself, to feel the pressure. I was totally sick of hearing "It'll be ready when it's ready" and "Soon" and (FFS) "No, really really soon. Really." It made me embarrassed to be associated with the project and I was ready to strangle kittens if I heard it again.

I've been thinking about this post (and the news that fixes for the remaining low priority bugs are being postponed to 2.1) - it's the most reassuring I've seen in a long time. I'd begun to think all the developers were living in some ivory tower where they continually chased after the totally unreachable goal of not releasing the software until it was perfect. At least somebody realises that unquantifiable damage has been done to the reputation of the project due to the never ending delays. We'll never know how many more people might have used SMF if it had ever been released instead of going elsewhere.

Good on you Antechinus!
jelv

Antechinus

Quote from: sremick on June 06, 2011, 10:12:22 AMGood to hear. So at this point, what's the holdup or what is happening? Another way to word that would be "why isn't it available for download already?" but the tone of that comes of nasty. :P

Cheers...

The release process isn't (unfortunately) a ten second job and we have just finished making the last minute changes. Depends how much time Norv has to push the relevant buttons. It's Monday in that part of the world IIRC, so I would assume that means working for a living is going to take up some time. You may have to wait a few days.

Quote from: jelv on June 06, 2011, 04:02:30 PMI've been thinking about this post (and the news that fixes for the remaining low priority bugs are being postponed to 2.1) - it's the most reassuring I've seen in a long time. I'd begun to think all the developers were living in some ivory tower where they continually chased after the totally unreachable goal of not releasing the software until it was perfect. At least somebody realises that unquantifiable damage has been done to the reputation of the project due to the never ending delays.

I assure you that I'm not the only person on the team that realises the delays have been damaging, nor am I the only dev that has a practical attitude. ;)

青山 素子

Well, it's good to see some owning up to a bit of the delay issues. I guess you couldn't find another scapegoat to blame since the last one is gone from the picture now.
Motoko-chan
Director, Simple Machines

Note: Unless otherwise stated, my posts are not representative of any official position or opinion of Simple Machines.

Kindred

That was uncalled for motoko....  :(
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

JBlaze

Jason Clemons
Former Team Member 2009 - 2012

Antechinus

It was rather pathetic, actually.

Fustrate

Quote from: 青山 素子 on June 06, 2011, 10:22:47 PM
Well, it's good to see some owning up to a bit of the delay issues. I guess you couldn't find another scapegoat to blame since the last one is gone from the picture now.

^ Someone's taken over my recently vacated position, eh?
Steven Hoffman
Former Team Member, 2009-2012

Suki

Disclaimer: unless otherwise stated, all my posts are personal and does not represent any views or opinions held by Simple Machines.

sharks

This looks like a new episode in the infamous reality series "SMF team fights and quits". Damn... 2.0 final looks very far away all of a sudden. :( *deep sigh*

GravuTrad

On a toujours besoin d'un plus petit que soi! (Petit!Petit!)

Think about Search function before posting.
Pensez à la fonction Recherche avant de poster.

live627

HecKel

Quote from: Eliana Tamerin on August 23, 2008, 04:10:10 PM
SMF 7 is where it gets good. That has time travel. You can go back and post before the guy who flamed you. :P

live627

Fustrate

Quote from: sharks on June 07, 2011, 11:51:54 AM
This looks like a new episode in the infamous reality series "SMF team fights and quits". Damn... 2.0 final looks very far away all of a sudden. :( *deep sigh*

The team couldn't care less about the moaning. Seriously, they're not a bunch of emotionally insecure toddlers who are going to run into a wall and cry if you startle them.

While we're at it, let's complain about the French Revolution.
Steven Hoffman

IchBin™

* IchBin™ runs into a wall and cries for Mommy.
IchBin™        TinyPortal

Fustrate

Quote from: IchBin™ on June 07, 2011, 12:38:58 PM
* IchBin™ runs into a wall and cries for Mommy.

Update: The team (with the exclusion of Brad) couldn't care less about the moaning. Seriously, they're not a bunch of emotionally insecure toddlers who are going to run into a wall and cry if you startle them.
Steven Hoffman

live627

* live627 sees Mum laugh and run away

GravuTrad

When will this post be closed? No need to wait the 2.0 final release to close it....
On a toujours besoin d'un plus petit que soi! (Petit!Petit!)

Think about Search function before posting.
Pensez à la fonction Recherche avant de poster.

Advertisement: