News:

Wondering if this will always be free?  See why free is better.

Main Menu

SMF 2.0 Update Part Last

Started by [SiNaN], May 05, 2011, 07:08:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

IchBin™

Quote from: Andrew94© on June 10, 2011, 01:33:17 PM
Uhm should I cross my fingers that it gets released this weekend?

We all should cross our fingers!
IchBin™        TinyPortal

Staind

24 hrs a day...24 bottles in a crate what a coincidence???

vbgamer45

That would be awesome can't wait. Getting excited to update mods!
Community Suite for SMF - Take your forum to the next level built for SMF, Gallery,Store,Classifieds,Downloads,more!

SMFHacks.com -  Paid Modifications for SMF

Mods:
EzPortal - Portal System for SMF
SMF Gallery Pro
SMF Store SMF Classifieds Ad Seller Pro

Storman™

Am I seeing things or is the bug tracker now as good as GREEN. There seems to be two issues left, but one seems to be merely a typo error, and the other a minor issue in the language files.

Hopefully this means we are nearly good to go

Burridge

Fingers crossed! I'd love to see a release of 2.0 Gold by the end of the week :D

ab1cor

Party! Weed and girls for everybody :)

dasilvatwins

Haha, I remember last month when someone said it would be released within the end of the month. Then about a week ago it was a few days. This is just face palm worthy. Great software but come on, get your release dates right.

IchBin™

Well if you would have taken the time to read a bit more you would have realized that other things have happened since then. But I digress...

Now let me just reiterate why we don't give release dates. In a project of volunteers you just can't. Sure goals can be set. But when you put dates out to the public, look what happens when you can't live up to them.
IchBin™        TinyPortal

dasilvatwins

No but someone said it would be released within the month back in May. I have read everything btw, just stating you guys never keep to what you say. SMF has been in RC for how long now? and a new bug just happens to pop up in the last minute? Love the software but you guys really need a better management structure imo and stop giving any release dates at all.

JBlaze

Quote from: dasilvatwins on June 10, 2011, 05:53:35 PM
No but someone said it would be released within the month back in May. I have read everything btw, just stating you guys never keep to what you say. SMF has been in RC for how long now? and a new bug just happens to pop up in the last minute? Love the software but you guys really need a better management structure imo and stop giving any release dates at all.
Instead of ******ing, why not offer some form of help?
Jason Clemons
Former Team Member 2009 - 2012

Burridge

Trust me, last minute bugs happen A LOT in software coding. It's just how it is. I don't think there's anything wrong with setting goals, it gives them a goal to work towards, and puts pressure on themselves to work harder to get it out in time. Maybe posting publicly the goal that has been set isn't always the best idea though. Setting a goal internally, and keeping it internally might be better. Although it seems (from my own personal experience, and reading about these forums) that no matter which way you do things...someone will always moan. :/

Quote from: JBlaze on June 10, 2011, 06:14:53 PM
Instead of ******ing, why not offer some form of help?
+1

jackregan

Like the SMF team, I am also somebody who puts work into stuff which I then publish on the web. Not software in my case, but the same principles apply. It seems as though everyone just expects awesome things on the web. And at no cost. And exactly how and when they want them. And if people have an issue with what you put your hard work into giving them for free, then that is instantly your problem, not theirs!!

I too am a little frustrated that 2.0 is taking so long. And, yes, they should have just said it'll be ready, when it's ready. Don't call us, we'll call you. But at the end of the day the guys who put it together are working hard to give us something free and awesome and if it takes them a little longer than expected, then so be it :)
Bible Study, Catholic News, Youth Group Stuff (my humble attempt at an SMF site... I'm grateful to the amazing people who have made SMF what it is!!

Arantor

Quoteit'll be ready, when it's ready. Don't call us, we'll call you.

That line has been used so often, everyone's fed up of hearing it, it's been said for at least the last two years.

jackregan

Jeez... I hope you folks are at least going to say thank you when it's finally released :)
Bible Study, Catholic News, Youth Group Stuff (my humble attempt at an SMF site... I'm grateful to the amazing people who have made SMF what it is!!

jackregan

On another note, will 2.0 definitely be a large upgrade from RC5?

If there are only a few minor changes, is there no chance it can just be a thing we can do from the admin panel?

Bancherd

I am sure that the staffs don't like to keep saying "It's ready when we release it" anymore than us  having to hear it.  ;)

Unless we could give constructive inputs into helping making this release faster, why don't we just wait?

:)

GlitchPC

Quote from: Once Upon A Star on June 10, 2011, 07:13:26 PMThat line has been used so often, everyone's fed up of hearing it, it's been said for at least the last two years.

So you speak for everyone?

I agree, totally, with jackregan!  It'll be ready when it's ready!

So, relax...have a beer...if you're old enough.  Or you can try some other free forum software...or reach into your wallet and pay for one.

I know I'll say, "Thank you!"

Illori

Quote from: jackregan on June 10, 2011, 07:20:28 PM

If there are only a few minor changes, is there no chance it can just be a thing we can do from the admin panel?

upgrades from RC's are always going to use the large upgrade package, this will not change anytime soon. also the number of changes is not few, it includes at least a header change in each and every file due to the license change.

Antechinus

Quote from: jackregan on June 10, 2011, 07:20:28 PM

No chance at all.

Arantor

QuoteOn another note, will 2.0 definitely be a large upgrade from RC5?

Yes.

QuoteIf there are only a few minor changes, is there no chance it can just be a thing we can do from the admin panel?

No, because the package would have to be generated completely manually, it'll be worse to install than some mods.

QuoteI am sure that the staffs don't like to keep saying "It's ready when we release it" anymore than us  having to hear it.

No, at least one of the developers has said they're fed up of saying it too. As have anyone who's been on the team in the last two years (which includes me).

QuoteUnless we could give constructive inputs into helping making this release faster, why don't we just wait?

Been there, done that, thanks.

QuoteOr you can try some other free forum software...or reach into your wallet and pay for one.

Oh, I am. As soon as 2.0 final is out, I'm gone for good, to a fork of SMF that's been in development and requires the release along with its change of licence.

Besides, I like to think of it as giving the team some motivation since I won't be complaining about the things that have been noted as bugs for years, that won't be fixed in 2.0 even when a solution has been posted, or about the way things are run.

Advertisement: