Best advertising for a new forum

Started by monkeyofstick, May 07, 2011, 12:08:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

monkeyofstick

I am getting all of my ducks in a row,and getting ready to begin advertising.
I am a newbie,so I am wondering what the easiest way to get started is,and if I can change it as I grow?

monkeyofstick

Is it all Google now?
Well,lot's of hits in the two days since this was posted,but no feedback yet.

lovepreet39

Hi
Dear
I am also a owner of new forum.
But i am also facing advertise problem.
Main  point is you need money for advertise.
You can advertise via google adwords.
Advertise via posters in your local area.
Advertise by friends.

But for me all fails becouse No money for advertise.
So first you need money

esanyemayor

I think you can try one on one with family and friends through Face Book as well. It has worked wonders.

monkeyofstick

Still thinks that this should be a covered topic here.
The amount of hits in 3 days has been outrageous when I haven't gotten feedback on it until today,
and it all looks like newbies as well.

Lolafish

Are you asking how to get the word out about your forum?

Make sure you have a Twitter and Facebook Fan Page for your forum, and YouTube/MySpace doesn't hurt either.  Social networking sites are great sources of traffic.  Set up the RSS mod on your topics so that you can update your status' on your social networking sites - Syncing all of these mediums will get you mad traffic!  Anytime someone posts something in your forum (you can control which topics), it's automatically posted to your social media websites through modes like Twitterfeed.   

The next thing you want to do is make sure you are providing complementary content on your website side.  That's how you get Google PageRank, which also brings you traffic.  If your website is ONLY your forum, you're not going to get very high ranking.  You'll want to have a link exchange page, making sure that your link partners are directly related to your content.  Make sure you have articles, stories, comments/reviews, etc...as part of your website content and you'll do very well.

Nothing happens overnight, but the more time you spend on these points, you'll see more and more traffic being driven to your forum. 

AquaPuppies - A Goldfish Community
www.aquapuppies.com

Running SMF 2.0.2 & SimplePortal 2.3.5

Lolafish

Oh by the way, use every opportunity you can to promote your website by utilizing the signature in the forums you belong to and participate in regularly.

AquaPuppies - A Goldfish Community
www.aquapuppies.com

Running SMF 2.0.2 & SimplePortal 2.3.5

monkeyofstick

Thank you,these are all notes I will follow.The biggest thing I was doing was trying to
get a starting point for monetization of a new forum for new folks.
I knew that it is an odd thing to ask,but I have just been wanting to see a set of know how for newbies about beginning the process of adding money to a new forum,for non technical folks like me.

KensonPlays

Just a friendly reminder, Don't quadruple post :P Edit if you need to add something :-)

Just a reminder :)

Owner of Mesozoic Haven

monkeyofstick

The reason for the ongoing wait of the question, witch were all posted on separate days,showing
the amount of hit's(interest) by forum members..

seo_corporation

Hello budd ..I agree that you need money for advertisement like PPC or others. If you do not have money then no problem just start doing SEO and SMO for your forum or sit\e. you can invest your biggest assest and that is time. Although SEO efforts will take time to show up , you can gain instant exposure through Social Media Optimization.(SMO)
SEO Corporation is a home to more than 300 small and medium sized companies for best

Web Design Toronto

KensonPlays

FYI: Pretty URLs doesn't really help all that much with SEO, just makes URLs easier to remember.

Owner of Mesozoic Haven

Ensiferous

Quote from: Kcmartz on May 20, 2011, 12:18:37 PM
FYI: Pretty URLs doesn't really help all that much with SEO, just makes URLs easier to remember.

They help with click through rates on search engines, they also help with click through rates on links posted on forums and such. Anything you can do to make your link seem relevant to a user is going to be good.
My Latest Blog Post: Debugging Nginx Errors

KensonPlays

@Ensiferous, yes but the value to ranking on engines like Google aren't effected, mostly user experience ;)

Owner of Mesozoic Haven

beast44

I'm a dummy on computers. What I did was go to the local buess. in my small home town, and asked them if they wanted to advertize on my site. If they did, I made them some banners and installed them. I'm not getting rich but its paying for Hosting and other things. I hope this might help

:D ;D

Don't have one, Don't want one, Not gona get one

Ensiferous

Quote from: Kcmartz on May 20, 2011, 08:12:44 PM
@Ensiferous, yes but the value to ranking on engines like Google aren't effected, mostly user experience ;)

Oh but they are! It won't change whether you rank 1st or 2nd but ranking is only half the battle. Once Google shows your site you need to convince the user that they should click on your link and not the other ones on the page, and that's where the URL comes into play.
My Latest Blog Post: Debugging Nginx Errors

Antes

Do Black Hat stuff, make link changes, improve SEO score, join Alexa Communities, write quality articles...

Use Black Hat at last... or never,

SEO Score = Not duplicate keywords, descriptions, use proper ones. Don't be too short or long.

if you dont have money to advertise (sorry forgot to add this line)

Fiery

How you advertise is largely dependent on the type of website.  If its geographically based advertise in that area. If its topically based start by looking around other similar communities.  Being more specific in your advertising will be a lot more effective than just blanketing the search engine world with all the SEO stuff.

KensonPlays

^^^^^
I have agreed. That's one of the best ways.

Owner of Mesozoic Haven

lovepreet39

Yes i knew Social Media is bedt for free advertising.ut take a longer time and today i also going to mke a page for my website on facebook

ApplianceJunk

Quote from: monkeyofstick on May 15, 2011, 07:36:26 PM
Thank you,these are all notes I will follow.The biggest thing I was doing was trying to
I knew that it is an odd thing to ask,but I have just been wanting to see a set of know how for newbies about beginning the process of adding money to a new forum,for non technical folks like me.

We have had good luck working with affiliate programs.
Some affiliate programs are through third parties and some our 'in house' affiliate programs.

Here are some more popular ones that I have had personal experience working with.

http://www.linkshare.com/
http://www.linkconnector.com/index.htm
https://www.google.com/adsense

Many of them will look at your site content before they decide if they are going to except you into there programs.

Any new forum owner should work on building content first.

fastcorvetteusa.com

Just curious are these free services  ?  :D

Quote from: ApplianceJunk on May 30, 2011, 09:09:17 AM

Some affiliate programs are through third parties and some our 'in house' affiliate programs.

Here are some more popular ones that I have had personal experience working with.

Many of them will look at your site content before they decide if they are going to except you into there programs.

erinj

Quote from: monkeyofstick on May 07, 2011, 12:08:50 PM
I am getting all of my ducks in a row,and getting ready to begin advertising.
I am a newbie,so I am wondering what the easiest way to get started is,and if I can change it as I grow?

I will be watching this thread since I am curious as well. I am an affiliate review marketer and any info helps.www.handmixersinfo.com 

monkeyofstick

I am using allot of this stuff.Think it is turning to an exellent guideline.

wii123

Facebook
Twitter
Youtube
google adwords
You can ask sites that relate you your services (eg. ask a website that sells tires to have a ad about your website where you sell engine parts.)

monkeyofstick

Has anyone used these guys?
They will allow me to use there service without going broke with my visa.My visa ran me broke.

http://www.entireweb.com/speedyads/

monkeyofstick

Also,targeted video's focused specifically on our services has increased the flow of folks for the last 2 days.

gigashiga

keyword research high search volume low competition
Relevant content
more Relevant content
and more Relevant content

add adsense

make money

use twitter with twitterfeed
to get traffic

also use digg and stumbleupon

monkeyofstick

Has anyone used these guys?
They will allow me to use there service without going broke with my visa.My visa ran me broke.

http://www.entireweb.com/speedyads/

They were hyped by a guy,I just do not want to get robbed or banned from Google, or Bing,the next Google in waiting..

monkeyofstick

Yes,the reason I keep asking about them is to see if they have a good or bad reputation.
Am planning on giving them a chance if no one has any horror stories.

Fiery

I wouldnt spend any money on them.  You are better off building your site and gaining members in other ways... just take a look around at various posts.

ApplianceJunk

QuoteJust curious are these free services  ?  :D

Quote from: ApplianceJunk on May 30, 2011, 09:09:17 AM

The don't cost me anything. Of coarse I'm on the receiving end being the web publisher. The companies on the other end selling product, or for example with google adsense selling there ads pay something I'm sure.

monkeyofstick

Thanks everyone.
I have worked on forums before,but this is my first time on the business end of it.Worked on Vbullitin.
But now I am seeing a complete new viewpoint.

monkeyofstick

Trying to be more proactive in my aproach.Have not purchased any ads yet,trying to do more in house work.
We are doing a few video's for the site.

Advertisement: