News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

My Forum is in Matinenance Mode, I didn't put it there

Started by PenelopeQ, May 08, 2011, 02:01:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PenelopeQ

I got up and tried to check my forum and it sent me directly to a white screen with Maintenance Mode at the top.

I have done nothing. I was not trying to add mods or anything yesterday. So waht is going on and how do I get it back?

I backed it up earlier in the week. But I don't know how to go about restoring it. I use my bluehost cpanel to create my backups--so it is a back up of my forum and blog which are both on bluehost.

Game.ruler

admin panel >>server setting >>enable maintanance mode.
now uncheck this box and save.

NanoSector

Open "Options.php" and set "$maintenance = 2;" to "$maintenance = 0;".
My Mods / Mod Builder - A tool to easily create mods / Blog
"I've heard from a reliable source that the Answer is 42. But, still no word on what the question is."

Illori

Quote from: Yoshi2889 on May 08, 2011, 02:11:24 PM

it is settings.php smf does not have an options.php file

you would need to use a text editor to edit it once you download it to your pc with an ftp client.

How do I use FTP? / What is FTP?

PenelopeQ

I've been using Filezilla, but the other day it wasn't allowing me to login--ARGH. Can I use my bluehost cpanel?

And to make sure I am understanding: use settings.php not options.php...?

NanoSector

Quote from: Illori on May 08, 2011, 02:55:23 PM
Quote from: Yoshi2889 on May 08, 2011, 02:11:24 PM

it is settings.php smf does not have an options.php file

you would need to use a text editor to edit it once you download it to your pc with an ftp client.

How do I use FTP? / What is FTP?
Sorry lol, I'm used to MAP3's Options.php :P

It's indeed Settings.php.
"I've heard from a reliable source that the Answer is 42. But, still no word on what the question is."

PenelopeQ

Okay, I've been wondering something.

My bluehost password and FTP password are supposed to be the same--linked.
But now they are different.
Some time ago I changed my BH password and it never got changed on my FTP. PReviously when I had changed my Bluehost password the FTP changed automatically--to the point I had not known it was doing that until someone explained it.

But it has now been a few months and they are not synched. That seems a clear reason why I've had problems. I was just getting ready to set up a new FTP.

Can anyone explain how to synch them or change the FTP. Or maybe I am supposed to cahnge Bluehost?

That should give me access and then I fix the real problem of the Maintenance Mode. The fix sounds so simple.

Illori

you should ask your host about the passwords they would know best.

PenelopeQ

Okay, tech support got me into my FTP.

It worked. I changed the file it about 2 seconds...I knew it would be that fast from your explanation.

But why did it happen? What happened?
I was using it yesterday and then today...BAM.

But there is this issue that I've been thinking is just about my dumb computer, but it only seems to be happening--sometimes--on the forum. My screen flashes or blinks while I am scrolling. It does it relatively quickly and other windows open tot he forum at the same time might not do it. I just checked in at the forum and it did it again--a bit more annoyingly than is usual.

Illori

do you have any files like, install.php, upgrade.php, or repair_settings.php on your server? if so please delete them, even if you renamed them remove them from your server as they could allow others to change settings on your forum.

NanoSector

Quote from: Illori on May 08, 2011, 07:25:56 PM
do you have any files like, install.php, upgrade.php, or repair_settings.php on your server? if so please delete them, even if you renamed them remove them from your server as they could allow others to change settings on your forum.
Actually, that does not explain why the OP's FTP passwords are different.

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

Quote from: Yoshi2889 on May 09, 2011, 04:09:05 AM
No, but any or all of those could explain the maint.mode.
Slava
Ukraini!
"Before you allow people access to your forum, especially in an administrative position, you must be aware that that person can seriously damage your forum. Therefore, you should only allow people that you trust, implicitly, to have such access." -Douglas

How you can help SMF

NanoSector

Quote from: Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen on May 09, 2011, 04:52:36 AM
Quote from: Yoshi2889 on May 09, 2011, 04:09:05 AM
No, but any or all of those could explain the maint.mode.
True, but the user also said that the FTP passwords have been changed. Removing those files does not guarantee that that will not happen again.

Illori

the op did state the following which does explain the password mismatch.
Quote from: PenelopeQ on May 08, 2011, 04:47:00 PM
Some time ago I changed my BH password and it never got changed on my FTP.

NanoSector

Quote from: Illori on May 09, 2011, 05:26:04 AM
the op did state the following which does explain the password mismatch.
Quote from: PenelopeQ on May 08, 2011, 04:47:00 PM
Some time ago I changed my BH password and it never got changed on my FTP.
Meh, I need reading glasses :P

PenelopeQ

The FTP issue was odd. The BH tech said they were sunched but I was inputting the wrong password. But I'd tried 2 versions--old and supposed new. My password recovery program told me the correct password was the old and thus that did not match with BH--but neither worked.

So I reset the BH password and I still did not get into my FTP. Huh. So I asked the tech about the host. I was using the same one I'd always been. But it turned out that was what was not working. I had to input the server ip and it worked.

I still could not get in with my quick pull down menu. But just a minute ago I fixed that--the password had not automatically updated with the synching as it was supposed to.

As for the programs.

I did not find upgrade.php, or repair_settings.php anywhere.
But I did find in intall.php and removed it.

I also found these
In my Packages Folder
intall11.php
intall20rc12.php
intall20rc2.php

In my Packages --> Bad Behavior folder
intall_db.php

I've looked through the other folders...but it has been tedious. Is there a way I can search--similar to the search function I use to find docs on my computer? I could have so easily missed something.

Also in my folder for the forum ther eseems to be a duplicate folder.
Here are the folders in my main site folder

attachments