When doing posts where have the Color, Bold, Italics etc gone?

Started by Vince S, May 11, 2011, 07:50:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vince S

Oh, immediately on doing a post here I see they are not gone! I am talking about the 2 rows of font formatting and the row of smileys that appears above the input box whilst posting. All I see is the two horizontal lines approx 3mm apart, undoubtedly the missing bit goes between them.

When I did an upgrade from the latest 1.1.(12 I think) on March 28 this year it all went smoothly without any reported issues. However when posting I noted immediately the formatting tools were gone, put it down to a RC issue. Also same I didn't (and still don't) get status info in the home Admin box, it says "You are unable to connect to simplemachines.org's latest news file.", a consequence of which is that the file checker doesn't work as it can't get versions.

Oh dear, I have just checked the error logs and there are 43,032 pages of them. The first few and last couple are all similar to:

Apply Filter: Only show the error messages of this URL
http://hunterdog.org.au/DiscussionBoard/index.php?topic=708.0
Apply Filter: Only show the errors with the same message
8: Undefined offset: 34
Apply Filter: Only show the errors from this file
File: /home/hunterdo/public_html/DiscussionBoard/Themes/default/GenericControls.template.php (main_above sub template - eval?)
Line: 246

http://hunterdog.org.au/DiscussionBoard/index.php?action=register2
8: Undefined offset: 182
File: /home/hunterdo/public_html/DiscussionBoard/Themes/default/Profile.template.php (main_above sub template - eval?)
Line: 259

Oh, 10 mins later there are 43,043.

I am guessing from the above I need to install a template from smf 2.0 as I didn't change it from the standard 1.1.12 issue...?
Try figuring out where all this is going to keep coming from: Millionaire Baby? Or just pass me a beer and we'll sort it, thank you.....

Illori

go to admin -> server settings check disable evaluation of templates save the page and post the new error messages without eval in them.

Vince S

OK, did that and did a new post. Now have 43,106 pages of errors (1,724,240 total). this is the last few:
http://hunterdog.org.au/DiscussionBoard/index.php?topic=735.new
8: Undefined offset: 507
File: /home/hunterdo/public_html/DiscussionBoard/Themes/babylon/Display.template.php
Line: 655
   Apply Filter: Only show the error messages of this member VinceS
Apply Filter: Only show the error messages of this IP address 124.183.174.207 
     Reverse chronological order of list Today at 10:58 PM
Apply Filter: Only show the error messages of this session e2454880c0e8031b364678281848760d
Apply Filter: Only show the errors of this type Type of error: Undefined
8: Undefined offset: 105
File: /home/hunterdo/public_html/DiscussionBoard/Themes/babylon/Display.template.php
Line: 654
Apply Filter: Only show the error messages of this session e2454880c0e8031b364678281848760d
8: Undefined index: quick_reply_2
Line: 644
8: Undefined index: quick_reply_1
Line: 641
8: Undefined offset: 161
Line: 630
Apply Filter: Only show the errors of this type Type of error: General
2: Invalid argument supplied for foreach()
Line: 624
Try figuring out where all this is going to keep coming from: Millionaire Baby? Or just pass me a beer and we'll sort it, thank you.....

Illori

are you using the babylon theme as default? i am not sure how well babylon works with 2.0, i would suggest you try using the default theme and see if that helps any.

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

If it doesn't really help, you should probably do a new large upgrade to the latest RC and make sure that all files actually get replaced with an up to date version.
Slava
Ukraini!
"Before you allow people access to your forum, especially in an administrative position, you must be aware that that person can seriously damage your forum. Therefore, you should only allow people that you trust, implicitly, to have such access." -Douglas

How you can help SMF

Vince S

Fixed!!!

We have used the Babylon theme from 1.1.about.5 and never changed it. Now I simply went and set to use forum default for everybody and hey presto, we have colors and formatting options. I posted but a few thousand errors had turned up so I emptied the error log, posted again, no errors!

So this would seem to be a trap in the upgrading process, 2.0 should either reset theme to new default or at least provide a warning about these unintended consequences. Gawd knows exactly what was going on but whatever it was the forum has operated fine for 6 weeks with new members, posts, etc - just the small issue of missing format controls, and the bizarre error counts!

Thanks for the pointers, now where is that Answered button...

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

I do believe the upgrade is supposed to change the default theme to be Curve. I don't know why it would not have done it.
But you are right, it should have a warning somewhere saying that old themes will probably be broken ;)
Slava
Ukraini!
"Before you allow people access to your forum, especially in an administrative position, you must be aware that that person can seriously damage your forum. Therefore, you should only allow people that you trust, implicitly, to have such access." -Douglas

How you can help SMF

Vince S

OK, by way of info this also fixed the Admin box status live feed box. Also I can now check file versions and the language files are all reported as 1.1, everything else is 2.0RC5. So I will go figure how to replace them shortly.

Also another manifestation of the problem is that the home page had a couple of weird statistics with small scroll like symbols next to them too cryptic for me I thought but put it down to an RC thing, it wasn't. What I was looking for in doing this upgrade was to resolve the many issues associated with trying to get a newsletter out in 1.1, and 2.0 has done that very nicely thank you - even with a broken theme installed!

I must admit I was totally surprised that the upgrade went without a hitch, something I put down to reading all the instructions and having full back-ups of both the "proper" kind, and the directory copy kind just in case.

See how many totally wrong assumptions one can make, ah 'tis the way of a modern life!

Advertisement: