News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

How to Add Categories Correctly

Started by mikejody, May 05, 2011, 11:29:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mikejody

Greetings,

I am quite sure this thread is in the wrong place, but can't see where I should be posting it, so if someone can tell me where to post I'll be happy to move there.

We just installed tonight and I hate to ask such a basic question but I am having a hard time figuring this out. Here is the question: How can I add categories properly? What I am wanting to do is, as soon as people get to the homepage, they should see the following:

Read This First (sticky)

Lesson 1 Discussion

Lesson 2 Discussion

Lesson 3 Discussion

,etc, down to Lesson 30 Discussion.

I added a category, but I can't see it on the homepage. Obviously I'm doing something wrong.

Any help would be appreciated. Remember I'm new, so please clap out the syalables for me :).

Thank you.

Mike

WantSome

I'm not a member of staff but I think this should have gone into the support area of this forum. 

However...

Not sure which version you're using, but in 1.1.1* usually categories will only show on the home/index page after you create a board inside that category.

(To do that, go to admin, then on the left menu click boards - you'll see a list of your categories which you say don't appear on your front page - then click on the button called Add Board under whichever category you want to put it.)

For your purposes, you might want to create your categories like this:

Category 1:  Read This First / Board Rules
                    Board 1.1) Important Stuff (inside this you'll create topic which you can sticky)

Category 2:  Discussions
                    Board 2.1) Lesson 1 (inside this, create topics like 'key points' or 'key questions' etc)
                    Board 2.2) Lesson 2 (again, topics like above which you can sticky - your users can also create topics)
                    etc

Category 3:  Other stuff/Other resources

You choose the order of your categories and boards when creating them, and these are fixed unless you as admin edit them (i.e. they don't get re-ordered when someone posts like the topics do - to keep a topic at the top within a board, you sticky it as you probably already know).  So your category 1 for important stuff will always be at the top.

hope that helps!

Advertisement: