News:

Wondering if this will always be free?  See why free is better.

Main Menu

404 Method Not Implemented error for ONE user!

Started by woolly bugger, May 16, 2011, 07:49:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

woolly bugger

I have one memeber who has been unable to access my forum, he gets the 404 methong not implemented error.

Recently he got a brand new computer, and tried to access the forum, he had forgotten his password, so clicked on the "forgot password" it sent an email to him but when he clicked on the link he once again got the 404 Method not implemented error...

Any ideas as to what is going on?

aishaweb

surely you mean 501 method not implemented?

woolly bugger

Just reporting what he is telling me, I've asked for a screen shot... or exact error message...

MrPhil

Probably a 501 AND a 404 because there is no custom 501 handler. Apache is a fine server, but it has one extremely stupid feature: if you need error page N and don't have your own defined (e.g., /N.shtml), it uses the default error page N (so far, so good) and then issues a 404 that it couldn't find your error page N. Anyway, your member is a novice in the ways of servers, so he's reporting the last thing he saw...

woolly bugger

Here is the exact message he sees

Method Not Implemented

GET to/forum/index.php not supported

Additionally,a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request

woolly bugger

I talked to my host and they said that most likely this may be a mod_security issue...

they will disable it for the forum directory...

is that a good idea?

MrPhil

SMF is all grown up and does not need "mod security". Go ahead and disable it.

QuoteMethod Not Implemented

GET to/forum/index.php not supported

Additionally,a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request
Yep, that sounds like a 501. Plus a 404 because you don't have a custom 501 ErrorDocument.

Advertisement: