News:

SMF 2.1.4 has been released! Take it for a spin! Read more.

Main Menu

Chmod problem

Started by Groovy™, May 17, 2011, 06:32:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Groovy™

I have big problems with the chmod ... Here's the problem
I installed the 2.0 RC5 and installing all forum folders chmod nice, but there is a problem after the install ... that is when I try to install any mod, throw me the following
"You cannot download or install new packages because the Packages directory or one of the files in it are not writable!"

Screenshots:
http://www.dodaj.rs/f/X/TG/4Eahs8MD/load8.png
http://www.dodaj.rs/f/3s/fp/4stwxXpr/load9.png

Does anyone have a solution?

MC73

What host are you using ?
Have you tried using a FTP Client such as Filezilla and manually cmd mod the folders and files?
Over 1100 Online Flash Games 

Illori

do you have a temp folder in the packages folder? if you do not please create one.

Groovy™

@MC73

- warez host
- if I could

@Illori
have temp folders, but still not

KensonPlays

If you need a certain permission, it will probably be "755"

Owner of Mesozoic Haven

Groovy™

Quote from: Kcmartz on May 18, 2011, 11:32:49 AM
If you need a certain permission, it will probably be "755"

No, this does not solve the problem, I tried

KensonPlays

Ok. If i think of anything i will post here.

Owner of Mesozoic Haven

Farjo

Make sure all directories inside Packages are 755, and that all files in all directories are 644.

Groovy™

I checked, they are ... but still throws this

You cannot download or install new packages because the Packages directory or one of the files in it are not writable!

Farjo

In that first screen that you posted, does it give the same message at the bottom? If so what happens when you click when it says 'click here'? At the bottom of that screen are your ftp details filled in correctly?

CapadY

Did you check who's the owner of the files/directories ?
Please, don't PM me for support unless invited.
If you don't understand this, you will be blacklisted.

Groovy™

I do not understand you so well ... in what sense you mean the owner of the directory?

CapadY

With Linux or Unix, and most servers are using it, all files and directories have an owner.
As long as FTP is the owner you wouldn't have any problems. But if the system becomes owner you will unable to change permissions or delete those files or directories.

Last sunday I had a blanc install of RC5 and some maps got the system as owner and I couldn't do anything with it. I had to contact my Host to solve this.
Please, don't PM me for support unless invited.
If you don't understand this, you will be blacklisted.

Groovy™

I'm almost at the Virtual private server ... and since then I have these problems on shared hosting ... I had no such problems ... I do not know what I was wise to do

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

Hi Groovy, is this still an issue? Have you been able to check the file ownership?
Slava
Ukraini!
"Before you allow people access to your forum, especially in an administrative position, you must be aware that that person can seriously damage your forum. Therefore, you should only allow people that you trust, implicitly, to have such access." -Douglas

How you can help SMF

nwobhm

I do have this same problem. But I've come to conclusion, that I will ned to address this to my host and solve the problem with them.

Because I have given proper rights to all the files and folders and I have the file "ownership". But still I get the "You cannot download or install new packages because the Packages directory or one of the files in it are not writable!" error.

MrPhil

• Did you grant "world writable" permissions (666 or 777) on a system which forbids that (e.g., one running suPHP)? On such a system, PHP runs as owner, and directories should be 755.
  • Did you check if PHP is running as owner (755), or in your group (775), or as "other" (temporarily 777)? Likewise, files may be 644, 664, or 666.
  • Are you clear on exactly who is the "owner" of said directories and/or files? What "group" they are listed as being in?
  • Read my sig > FAQs > Proper Permissions on chmod usage.

Advertisement: