News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

[WiP] Like This Post

Started by live627, May 18, 2011, 08:00:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

live627

I have decided to resurrect and improve this mod. Since its first appearance in August 2010, it has only provided some basic functionality.
  • A list of all those who liked the post, colored by membergroup
  • Ability to like a post which you did not make
  • Per-board switch
  • A certain IP or member can like a post only once

I plan to add more features, such as:
  • Displaying the like option not only in the regular topic view, but also in the search results, the list of recent topics, and the list of a member's posts
  • List of liked posts in the profile
  • Unlike or remove a like as well as dislike and remove a dislike for those communities out there
  • Forbid a member liking or disliking
  • Option to set how long a member must wait before reliking or redisliking a post
  • Protect from flooding: set the minimum wait time to like or dislike in seconds

More suggestions are welcome!

live627

No love? Something like this would be desirable for lots of forums and communities out there. I am also  ready to answer questions about this customization.

live627

So here's an update. Attached is the settings of the mod. Most of the features are implemented, and no template edits are made anywhere, thus ensuring compatibility with most, if not all, themes.

~DS~

Looks nice and someone who countine its development where another fails if you know what I meant. :P

Any screenshot of what it looks like on topic?
"There is no god, and that's the simple truth. If every trace of any single religion were wiped out and nothing were passed on, it would never be created exactly that way again. There might be some other nonsense in its place, but not that exact nonsense. If all of science were wiped out, it would still be true and someone would find a way to figure it all out again."
~Penn Jillette – God, NO! – 2011

live627

• I know what you mean.
  • Yes and the same is done for unlike.
  • Screenshots attached. Also, seamless board index integration.
I think Facebook displays the first three names for a like. Or is it the last three? Anyway, should I include such a limitation as an option, mandatory, if at all?

~DS~

First 4 names, I see 10 there. :P
Guest should not see those names unless they are a member? (Permission?)

I don't get the boards integration... stats seem a better place, no?

QuoteAnyway, should I include such a limitation as an option, mandatory, if at all?
Not sure what options you are referring to. Mandatory sounds too restricted.
"There is no god, and that's the simple truth. If every trace of any single religion were wiped out and nothing were passed on, it would never be created exactly that way again. There might be some other nonsense in its place, but not that exact nonsense. If all of science were wiped out, it would still be true and someone would find a way to figure it all out again."

live627

The board integration is for displaying which post is liked the most. It is off by default.

The option I referred to is how many names should be shown. Currently, there's no restriction, so if 372 members like the post, all their names would show.

~DS~

Ok, then it should be mandatory with 4 names, I think.

...and 368 others like this.

where "others" is linked...maybe a popup list of members?

live627

Popup sounds good. I also thought of expanding the list when 'others' is clicked too...

~DS~

BTW...there is too many "This''s. lol

Unlike THIS
Like THIS
Undislike THIS

FlipPro

Will be testing this on tweetforum

~DS~

Quote from: FlipPro on May 24, 2011, 06:29:56 PM
Will be testing this on tweetforum
This is a paid mod just FYI.

live627

And here is the stats page. Did I mention that I accomplished all this without a single template edit?

~DS~

Much better, so no boards integration?

live627

The board integration is still an option.

Antes

If you do it FB style it would be better.

x Person Liked this [Show] (Pops screen and shows with avatar)
and also you can make x of your friend(s) liked this and y other people liked this [show] (under the line shows 16x16 avatar of friends)

live627

I'm not familiar with Facebook  so a screenshot would help.

So you hover a name and a nice little popup tooltip shows with their avatar and in said area it lists which of your friends liked the post? (By friends I mean those members added to your buddy list)

live627

I got a popup toolltip working all nice and stuff. Looks absolutely gorgeous to me. It currently shows username and avatar.

Antes

yea nearly same (well pop-tooltip is way more better)

can you put SS ?

SFF Forum

Like a thank you mod indeed
I Love Simple Machines Forum .

live627

live627

Ok after fighting with Javascript and subduing it there is now a link in the empty space to add/remove them from the buddies.

Moskis

Keep up the good work, this plugin would be great for our forum! :)

I can provide spanish (es_ES) translation if needed btw.

Xarcell

here's how it should work. the number of members names shown should be specfied via admin. Then the line will finish with "342 others" like this. The 342 should be the pop-up showing everyone's name/avatar.

Similar to this: http://xenforo.com/community/threads/xenforo-1-0-2.16250/

Just my 2 cents.

I think it's near perfect like it is really. I don't see why people aren't tripping over each other trying to get this mod. It's next on my list to purchase, I just wish it gave the person's post that was liked a PM that says 'live627 liked your post".

live627

Today I packaged the mod ready for purchase http://dev.live627.com/index.php?action=mods#73

Things to note:
  • Screenshots in this thread are the ones to reference; only the board option as seen on the mod page is the same
  • Altered language strings to exclude the word This by Dismal Shadow's suggestion
  • Admin can turn on email   notifications as well as by PM; users can disable it for them

Hj Ahmad Rasyid Hj Ismail

A very nice mod. I am looking forward to a free version of this.

live627

According to the calendar, forever is still many, many moons away.

~DS~

lol, I knew that was coming.

samer123

Quote from: live627 on June 06, 2011, 09:02:36 PM
Today I packaged the mod ready for purchase

Hello !
Is it compatible with SMF 1.1.14 ?

live627

No.

If I were to backport it, I would need to basically rewrite it. And the member options probably wouldn't be available, since they rely on the custom profile fields.

Advertisement: