News:

SMF 2.1.4 has been released! Take it for a spin! Read more.

Main Menu

Logging in

Started by Kaitlyn, May 18, 2011, 11:53:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kaitlyn

the forum I'm on since we installed it seems some members always have problems logging in having the wrong password or once they get logged in they are automatically logged out yet the minutes on the forum are high so I don't know why this is happening.

Sir Osis of Liver

What's in your error log?

Ashes and diamonds, foe and friend,
 we were all equal in the end.

- R. Waters

Sir Osis of Liver

Can you post the link to your board?

- R. Waters

Sir Osis of Liver

Did you have this problem from day 1?  Took about 20 tries to login with IE8.  FF3.5 was not as bad, but still had problems.  Once I got in, was not bounced out.  Am unable to load the default theme, and there's no Profile option to switch to default.  Do you see the problem when you login?  Can you switch to the default theme and see if it persists?

I'm currently logged in with IE8, but can't logout.  The logout button has disappeared.

- R. Waters

Sir Osis of Liver

I had the Logout button on previous logins - now there's a blank area where the button was.  Quick Reply doesn't open - browser shows error on page.  Did you install any new mods or make other changes recently?  And where is the profile option for Look and Layout?  Your theme appears to be extensively modded, and some basic features seem to be missing. 

Ok, found the Logout button in Full Screen.  Really shouldn't work that way.

- R. Waters

Sir Osis of Liver

You're using one of Crip's themes, but it's been modified quite a bit.  I do not get the Look and Layout option in Modify Profile.  Need to see if the problem persists in default theme.  If you can get someone who's experiencing the login problem to switch to default and see what they get, it would help.  I tried  going directly to /index.php?theme=1, but I end up at the same place.

You should be able to reinstall without losing your db, but first you should determine if it's just a theme related problem.

- R. Waters

Sir Osis of Liver

Your login script has been modified.  I think I know why, but if it wasn't done correctly, it could be causing the login problem.  Do you know what was done?

- R. Waters

Sir Osis of Liver

Look at the default session length on the Login page - it should be 60 minutes.  You've also added an OpenID option, and a FB link to the page.  It's been significantly changed, and if the changes weren't done correctly, it can cause all kinds of problems.

Try uploading a clean copy of Login.template.php to the /Themes/Anecdota/ directory.  Backup your existing file first.

It's getting past 0200 here, so I'm shutting down for the night.  Will be on tomorrow.  If no one else jumps in and you're still haviing problems, I'll try to help.

- R. Waters

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

If this is still happening, and you have not updated your forum to the latest release,
then I'd advice you to update ASAP and let us know if the problem continues with the latest version. 
Slava
Ukraini!
"Before you allow people access to your forum, especially in an administrative position, you must be aware that that person can seriously damage your forum. Therefore, you should only allow people that you trust, implicitly, to have such access." -Douglas

How you can help SMF

Advertisement: