Conversion to 2.0

Started by Biology Forums, May 20, 2011, 12:33:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Biology Forums

Hey again,

I'm really interesting in starting a 2.0 RC5 community with the community I've established on my 1.1.13 forum, however, I still don't have all the facts straight.

I have over 90 mods installed on my forum, plus some SSI changes I made, and other things which I didn't keep track of.

If I convert to 2.0, will I have to uninstall all these mods first before I do the upgrade or can I go ahead with the upgrade with these mods installed. I know for sure that some of the mods are only compatible with 1.X, so I am prepared to face that.

I have read the manual, but I need it to come from someone who has actually done it in the past. I don't want to mess up the tables or database in anyway. I just simply want all the content to be transferred to the new 2.0 interface.

Moreover, I have a wiki bridged to my website already, will this affect the process in any way?

Please let me know if this is possible and if people have done it in the past.

C.

KensonPlays

Can you list your mods? Some are surely already in 2.0 RC5...

and yes people have done it in that past.

Owner of Mesozoic Haven

CapadY

First advice: Don't upgrade to RC5, just have some patience until SMF2 final is released.
When you want to upgrade from RC5 to SMF2 Final you'll have to do the whole track again and Final is released within a few weeks.

Second advice: MAKE a FULL BACKUP before upgrading. So, a backup of the files AND a backup of the database.

When upgrading all your MOD's are lost. So you have to install them again. The same for all modifications you made yourself.
Normaly there will noting worse happen with the database. So, no loss of members or posts.

The time between now and the release of SMF2 Final can be used to gather the MOD's you want to install and to have a look for a nice Theme. Themes for SMF1.x branch can't be used in SMF2.x branch. I'm pretty sure MOD's suitable for RC5 can be used with SMF2 Final. Keep in mind that SMF2 have some functions by default you had to install as MOD in SMF1.1.13.
Please, don't PM me for support unless invited.
If you don't understand this, you will be blacklisted.

Storman™

I agree with CapadY and would do all what he advises (and definitely wait for SMF2 Final)

Also, I would seriously think about doing a try run on a test site which is a copy of your live site. May try this virtually with something like VertrigoServ. That can be run on your Windows PC and is a good way of doing a "trial run".

Biology Forums

Quote from: Kcmartz on May 20, 2011, 12:34:13 PM
Can you list your mods? Some are surely already in 2.0 RC5...

and yes people have done it in that past.

1.   Remove Index From Title
2.   Karma Buttons
3.   Aeva ~ Auto-Embed Video & Audio
4.   SMFShop
5.   AutoKeywords
6.   Advanced Recent-Posts
7.   Recent Topics On Board Index
8.   Alphabetic Smileys
9.   Smiley_Avatars
10.   Anti-Spam Verification Questions
11.   Default Avatar
12.   Registered Links
13.   Guest Attachment Preview
14.   No Spam by Guests!
15.   Related Topics
16.   Attachments in Topics
17.   SMF 1.0.20 / 1.1.12 Update
18.   New Topic Button
19.   FontandSizeDropdown_1.3
20.   Next Post Level
21.   Post_Board_Select
22.   Stars And Badges
23.   Custom Action Mod
24.   Member Color Link
25.   Hide SMF Version
26.   Visual Verification Options
27.   Blue Smiley
28.   Hide mod and admin edits
29.   LimitPostsPerDay
30.   Activity_Bar
31.   Top Karma On Stats
32.   SmileyLimit
33.   vReportBoard Mod
34.   Prevent Adding Signature Images And Links
35.   Previous and Next Links for Page Index
36.   SMF 1.0.21 / 1.1.13 Update
37.   Restrict Email Providers on Registration
38.   New Style Message Icon
39.   SSI Membergroup
40.   Enhance Recent Post
41.   Quick Ban on Account Delete
42.   Welcome Back
43.   Ultimate Avatar Pack
44.   Hide Unused Profile Display Fields
45.   Ultimate Profile
46.   Paid Subscriptions
47.   Shop Item: Profile Image
48.   Karma Description Mod
49.   PM On Registration
50.   Hide Signatures from Guests
51.   Hide Tag Special
52.   Hide Tag BBC Image
53.   BBC Permission Mod
54.   Board Viewers Mod
55.   User Email System
56.   Topic Solved
57.   30 Assorted Animated Avatars
58.   Book of Unknown Action
59.   Create a topic when a post is reported
60.   Auto Email Inactive Users
61.   ENotify
62.   Pretty URLs
63.   Member NotePad
64.   TextSizer
65.   SMF Bay PRO
66.   MessagePreviewOnHover
67.   SMF Gallery Lite
68.   TinyPortal
69.   NiceTooltips
70.   Watermark.light
71.   Highslide Image Viewer
72.   SA FBConnect
73.   Googlebot & Spiders Mod
74.   Mimetex
75.   Bot Buster
76.   Signature Option Post
77.   Remove Re From Post Title
78.   Sorted Package Manager Listing
79.   Caps_Lock_Detection_on_Login
80.   nneonneo's AJAX ShoutBox
81.   Anonymous Posting Mod
82.   Enhanced Dropdown
83.   Disable Subject Change
84.   SMF Shop Lottery
85.   TP Tabbed Block
86.   DisableTemplateEval
87.   AjaxChat Integration
88.   RateThatTopic
89.   Relative Dates
90.   SearchResultsMod
91.   Admin Notepad
92.   SMF Arcade
93.   Gender on Memberlist
94.   Custom Form Mod
95.   notCaptcha
96.   mp3 Flash Player BBC Tag (XHTML Compliant)

Biology Forums

Quote from: Storman on May 20, 2011, 01:05:01 PM
I agree with CapadY and would do all what he advises (and definitely wait for SMF2 Final)

Also, I would seriously think about doing a try run on a test site which is a copy of your live site. May try this virtually with something like VertrigoServ. That can be run on your Windows PC and is a good way of doing a "trial run".

Great, as long as the members, topics, and uploads are there, I can re-manage with reinstalling the mods again. So, no need to Uninstall any mods, correct?

Storman™

QuoteSo, no need to Uninstall any mods, correct?

Well the upgrade to 2.0 will replace your existing files with new ones. You might want to dis-engage Tinyportal though before you start.

To be honest I've never seen a forum before with that many mods so you're into new territory !

Biology Forums

Believe it or not, I use every once of them! It's a support website so you have to make it pretty in order to attract new members. Those are in order of which ones I installed first :)

sorry, what do you mean by disengage? do you mean uninstall?

Matthew K.

It's highly suggested that you uninstall all mods before an upgrade.

Illori

yet i have done a few upgrades with mods in place from 1.1.1* to 2.0 RC* with no problems what-so-ever. the updated versions of the mods installed just fine on 2.0 and used the existing settings in the database.

Matthew K.

Since SMF 2.0 uses a different column naming structure, and a couple other differences, it can cause problems. The reason it changed was to bring compatibility to other database systems beyond MySQL.

Biology Forums

Quote from: Labradoodle-360 on May 20, 2011, 03:42:45 PM
Since SMF 2.0 uses a different column naming structure, and a couple other differences, it can cause problems. The reason it changed was to bring compatibility to other database systems beyond MySQL.

Thus making it impossible to convert to 2.0. Some mods don't even uninstall their tables correctly.

IchBin™

Well that doesn't make it impossible. But if a mod doesn't update properly, then of course the mod author needs to know that. That's why you should do as suggested by someone else in this topic already and create a duplicate of your site to test the upgrade for you.
IchBin™        TinyPortal

CapadY

Quote from: shuban on May 20, 2011, 03:46:13 PM
Thus making it impossible to convert to 2.0. Some mods don't even uninstall their tables correctly.
As a fact, I have never seen a MOD that did uninstall the database changes.
Even in the MOD-writers manual is an advise not to undo database changes with a re-install.

Unless that I think it will be a good idea to uninstall MODs before upgrading.
Please, don't PM me for support unless invited.
If you don't understand this, you will be blacklisted.

Advertisement: