Error when trying to install mod (happened after i made a FTP account in cPanel

Started by wii123, May 20, 2011, 08:14:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wii123

Error when trying to install mod (happened after i made a FTP account in cPanel

Error: You cannot download or install new packages because the Packages directory or one of the files in it are not writable!

Happens on every mod so its not the mod how do i fix??

wii123

Quote from: aishaweb on May 20, 2011, 08:24:23 PM
>click<
read what was posted there but i dont know how do i get to "packages" in the FTP client? i cant see anything about my site on files on my computer

wii123

Sir Osis of Liver

Filezilla shows you the file permissions (last column on right).  Should all be 0644 - read/write by owner.  You can change them by right clicking on the file name, but may not be a good idea 'til you know what went wrong.

Ashes and diamonds, foe and friend,
 we were all equal in the end.

- R. Waters

wii123

Quote from: Krash. on May 20, 2011, 08:50:51 PM

Filezilla shows you the file permissions (last column on right).  Should all be 0644 - read/write by owner.  You can change them by right clicking on the file name, but may not be a good idea 'til you know what went wrong.
what i really dont understand is how do you find the files that are on your site? all i can see is files on my computer...
And yes i have connected...

Sir Osis of Liver

You should see two windows.  The one on the left says 'Local site' at the top - that's your computer.  The window on the right says 'Remote site' at the top - that's your server host account.

- R. Waters

wii123

Quote from: Krash. on May 20, 2011, 09:19:48 PM

You should see two windows.  The one on the left says 'Local site' at the top - that's your computer.  The window on the right says 'Remote site' at the top - that's your server host account.
but all the one on the right has in it is a folder called "/" and doesnt do anything when i click it

Sir Osis of Liver

That's your root directory - if you click on the top folder icon, it will just reload - you can't go any higher than the root.  Should be a list of folders below that, which are the subdirectories where all of your files are.

- R. Waters

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

If all you are seeing is a / then you are not using the right FTP account.
That is to say, the FTP account you are using does not have access to the files you are looking for.

Slava
Ukraini!
"Before you allow people access to your forum, especially in an administrative position, you must be aware that that person can seriously damage your forum. Therefore, you should only allow people that you trust, implicitly, to have such access." -Douglas

How you can help SMF

Advertisement: