News:

SMF 2.1.4 has been released! Take it for a spin! Read more.

Main Menu

imported database, all post showing as new

Started by ronanc, May 22, 2011, 11:44:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ronanc

Hi all,

I have setup and installed my smf and converted a vb database in, all posts and users tranfered over but I have this problem,

every post in the forums is showing up as "new"  which is literally 170,000, I could not ask all members to mark them all as read as it would take a lifetime,

is there some way of marking everything as read globally for everyone?

this way any new posts etc will be genuine unread items,

hope someone can help,

thanks

live627

When you view the list of unread posts, there is a link which marks all messages read for that particular user.

ronanc

hi thanks for reply,

I am aware of that, but it would take each individual user a lifetime to click read on all the posts,

all the posts that imported from the vbulletin database are all showing up as new for each user which is literally 170,000 posts going back to the day i started my forums, regardless if you log out and back in, so its confusing to actaully see the genuine new posts as there all showing new if you know what i mean ?

live627

NO. The member clicks ONCE to get all messages read.

ronanc

that only works for 1 page, there is hundreds of pages, so user must click that mark read button for each page of unread posts, have tried this method already  :(

ronanc

hi, tried that, seems to only work for people that have logged in again on the system?

any current users that log after i have run this script still have this issue, which means i have to run it again, that then affects the users that have the issue resolved prior, and such they lose the new posts

All members have not logged in on this smf board yet, as I only migrated yesterday,

must be some way to mark everything read for everyone? and let the board take off as fresh then

cheers

Illori

i am not familiar with the script to be able to answer any questions about it.

ronanc

no problem,

has any come across this problem before|?

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

Quote from: ronanc on May 23, 2011, 06:20:24 AM
that only works for 1 page, there is hundreds of pages, so user must click that mark read button for each page of unread posts, have tried this method already  :(
On the Forum Index, there is a button that says "Mark ALL messages as read" - And that's exactly what it does.
It marks every topic and post in the whole forum read for the user that clicks it.
The button link is like /index.php?action=markasread;sa=all;

EDIT: Also the script linked above can do this for everyone (you just need to edit a few settings from it first, to lose the limits )
Slava
Ukraini!
"Before you allow people access to your forum, especially in an administrative position, you must be aware that that person can seriously damage your forum. Therefore, you should only allow people that you trust, implicitly, to have such access." -Douglas

How you can help SMF

Advertisement: