News:

SMF 2.1.4 has been released! Take it for a spin! Read more.

Main Menu

General support

Started by rightofatilla, May 27, 2011, 03:18:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Angelina Belle

RSS is not necessary to show recent posts on a home page.
Indeed, the portal mods available for SimpleMachines all provide the ability to create a home or "portal" page with recent posts or topics from an admin-selected board.

These blocks are not limited to *NEW* or unread posts -- only to recent posts.
If you wanted to, I am certain you could get a slightly-customized block that would (optionally) cut out the user's already-read recent posts.
That would be done with a slight modification to the SQL statement, I think.

I recommend a portal, with the small customization.
Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity. -- Hanlon's Razor

rightofatilla

Quote from: AngelinaBelle on June 15, 2011, 04:39:43 PM
RSS is not necessary to show recent posts on a home page.
Indeed, the portal mods available for SimpleMachines all provide the ability to create a home or "portal" page with recent posts or topics from an admin-selected board.

These blocks are not limited to *NEW* or unread posts -- only to recent posts.
If you wanted to, I am certain you could get a slightly-customized block that would (optionally) cut out the user's already-read recent posts.
That would be done with a slight modification to the SQL statement, I think.

I recommend a portal, with the small customization.

I want my users to see topics from other sources.  We are a political forum, and I want to display topics that will spur discussion.  When they see a topic, they click on it, it creates a new thread, with a snippet of text from the story, along with the link to the site, and my members can dog pile on the topic.

I feel like I am not communicating what I want very well.

Angelina Belle

I was confused, because I thought you were just talking about the news and announcemetns on THIS site's front page.

The closest thing you may find to what you want is Slammed Dime's RSS feeder, which creates a topic for EVERY post from an RSS source. He wrote it that way because that is what he wanted.

If you want a front page to feature the source on, you can roll your own using the SSI, or you can try one of the Portal Mods. In that case, a recent posts or recent topics block would work well for you.
Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity. -- Hanlon's Razor

rightofatilla

Quote from: AngelinaBelle on June 16, 2011, 07:30:36 AM
I was confused, because I thought you were just talking about the news and announcemetns on THIS site's front page.

The closest thing you may find to what you want is Slammed Dime's RSS feeder, which creates a topic for EVERY post from an RSS source. He wrote it that way because that is what he wanted.

If you want a front page to feature the source on, you can roll your own using the SSI, or you can try one of the Portal Mods. In that case, a recent posts or recent topics block would work well for you.

I don't know what SSI or Portal Mods are.  Are Portal Mods programmers?

Advertisement: