News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

Co-admin

Started by colby2152, May 29, 2011, 07:39:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

colby2152

I want to have a co-admin, but I don't want them to have full admin powers.  Specifically, I want them to be able to modify a board BUT NOT DELETE IT.  Any way to do this?
ProFSL.com - Pro Fantasy Sports Leagues - Advanced fantasy sports leagues, contests, free chances at cash/prizes, and sports discussion.

Need a server? I am happy to advocate this hosting solution - hands on customer service and reliability is relieving!!!

Sir Osis of Liver

Admins have all permissions, you can't change that.  Create another membergroup called Admin, and you can set up permissions any way you like.

Ashes and diamonds, foe and friend,
 we were all equal in the end.

- R. Waters

Illori

there is no permission on the ability to delete boards, you would need a mod for that.

Sir Osis of Liver

An Administrator can delete boards, but no other membergroup can if there is no permission for it, so creating a new group called Admin with all permissions allowed should basically do what the op wants.

- R. Waters

Illori

no that is not true, i just tested giving another group all perms they can still delete the boards.

Sir Osis of Liver

So there is no way to remove that permission if a group has all permissions?  Doesn't make sense.  Obviously all groups can't normally delete boards, so which permission allows them to do so?

- R. Waters

Illori

Manage boards and categories seems to be the only permission for creating/deleting boards

will not keep you from deleting them if you can create them, you need a custom permission for such.

Sir Osis of Liver

Understood - thanks.

- R. Waters

hcfwesker

Well, if you'd just like to remove the "Delete Board" option entirely.

Go to Themes/default/ManageBoards.template.php

Find and remove this portion

if (!isset($context['board']['is_new']) && empty($context['board']['is_recycle']))
echo '
<span', $context['board']['is_recycle'] ? ' style="visibility:hidden">' : '>', '<input type="submit" name="delete" value="', $txt['mboards_delete_board'], '" onclick="return confirm(\'', $txt['boardConfirm'], '\');"', ' class="button_submit" /></span>';

And, when YOU need to remove a board, you can delete it through phpMyAdmin, or add the line of code back in where it originally was, just long enough to remove the board.  Just tested and it works.  But, use at your own risk. 

Sir Osis of Liver

Should be able to make that conditional so it only works for Administrator.  I'll tinker with it tonight if I have time.

- R. Waters

Sir Osis of Liver

This should do it.

In ManageBoards.template.php -

Find this:

if (!isset($context['board']['is_new']) && empty($context['board']['is_recycle']))
echo '
<span', $context['board']['is_recycle'] ? ' style="visibility:hidden">' : '>', '<input type="submit" name="delete" value="', $txt['mboards_delete_board'], '" onclick="return confirm(\'', $txt['boardConfirm'], '\');"', ' class="button_submit" /></span>';

Change it to this:

/// Restrict board delete to one Administrator

if (!isset($context['board']['is_new']) && empty($context['board']['is_recycle']) && $context['user']['id'] == 1)
echo '

Use your user id in $context['user']['id'] == 1.  All admins will be able to create/modify boards, but only you can delete them.  The 'Delete Board' option is removed - only you can see it.

- R. Waters

hcfwesker

Nice work, Krash.

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

Quote from: colby2152 on May 29, 2011, 07:39:35 PM
I want to have a co-admin, but I don't want them to have full admin powers. 
The traditional answer to your question would really be that you don't want a co-admin then.

Admins by definition have admin level access and permission - if you do not want to share all permissions,
then you really, really do not want to make them admins! Deleting or modifying a board is the slightest of your worries, if you really think you can't trust your co-admin with something like that to begin with.

Anyone with administrative access to your forum can basically destroy everything in it. That simple.
Keep it in mind.

EDIT:

Also, Krash's "fix" is nothing more than make up. It removes the option from sight, but it doesn't stop them from using it really.
Slava
Ukraini!
"Before you allow people access to your forum, especially in an administrative position, you must be aware that that person can seriously damage your forum. Therefore, you should only allow people that you trust, implicitly, to have such access." -Douglas

How you can help SMF

Sir Osis of Liver

Quote from: Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen on May 31, 2011, 02:00:57 AM
Also, Krash's "fix" is nothing more than make up. It removes the option from sight, but it doesn't stop them from using it really.

Most users will not know how to get around it.  Those who do will be able to hack the forum regardless.  I think there's a basic assumption that anyone the forum owner assigns admin privleges is known to him and reasonably trustworthy, and the fix is a practical way of making the option unavailable.

- R. Waters

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

Quote from: Krash. on May 31, 2011, 02:49:23 PM
I think there's a basic assumption that anyone the forum owner assigns admin privleges is known to him and reasonably trustworthy
Yes, exactly - and if it was like that, any edits like this shouldn't be needed, right?
Slava
Ukraini!
"Before you allow people access to your forum, especially in an administrative position, you must be aware that that person can seriously damage your forum. Therefore, you should only allow people that you trust, implicitly, to have such access." -Douglas

How you can help SMF

twig/al

Best way is to create a "Super Moderator" give him/her all the permissions you want... Saves a lot of work and worry. But you still need to know them very well...

Illori

that does not fix this issue where there is no permission to give or not give for this ability.

Sir Osis of Liver

Quote from: Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen on May 31, 2011, 02:54:09 PM
Yes, exactly - and if it was like that, any edits like this shouldn't be needed, right?

If the option is there, people will use it, often with the best intentions.  If it's not there, most users will not even know it's available.  As you pointed out, anyone given admin permissions can do much worse things than deleting a board.  If you base all of your decisions in life on the assumption that everyone but you is a scumbag and out to get you, you'll have a very unhappy life.  ;)

- R. Waters

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

Well, point taken :P But I do strongly feel that admin rights should only be given to people you can trust not to use them wrongly.

Slava
Ukraini!

How you can help SMF

KensonPlays

Quote from: Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen on May 31, 2011, 03:13:56 PM
Well, point taken :P But I do strongly feel that admin rights should only be given to people you can trust not to use them wrongly.

+1,000!!! Well said :)

I agree with the "Super Moderator" post as well

Owner of Mesozoic Haven

Advertisement: