News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

Please help! Copyright notice deleted...

Started by 2babies=tired, May 31, 2011, 09:42:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

2babies=tired

I stupidly didn't do a backup before I installed global headers and footers mod :( :( I'm such an idiot as it's screwed up the copyright!!!

It's deleted it or something and I'm getting this!

Sorry, the copyright must be in the template.
Please notify this forum's administrator that this site is missing the copyright message for SMF so they can rectify the situation. Display of copyright is a legal requirement. For more information on this please visit the Simple Machines website

I've already tried uploading a new index.template.php to replace the old one but it's not worked :( I just don't know where else to look to find the problem! Anyone help me as i'm stuck with this awful notice at the foot of my page.

Thanks

Elle

p.s I've deleted global headers and footers too and it's not had any effect :(

mashby

Did you delete it or uninstall it? In any case, mind attaching the index.template.php for the themes affected?
Always be a little kinder than necessary.
- James M. Barrie

2babies=tired

Hi :)

I only uninstalled the mod that caused it sorry - not deleted it ;)

Here is my index template.

Thanks

2babies=tired

I don't understand why it's in the index-template file but not on the html on the source view of my index page... does that make sense to anyone?

mashby

Just to make sure...the file you attached is for the theme you are using? I looked at your attachment and really don't see anything bad in the important copyright place:
// Show the "Powered by" and "Valid" logos, as well as the copyright. Remember, the copyright must be somewhere!
echo '
<div id="footer_section"><div class="frame">
<ul class="reset">
<li class="copyright">', theme_copyright(), '</li>
<li><a id="button_xhtml" href="http://validator.w3.org/check/referer" target="_blank" class="new_win" title="', $txt['valid_xhtml'], '"><span>', $txt['xhtml'], '</span></a></li>
', !empty($modSettings['xmlnews_enable']) && (!empty($modSettings['allow_guestAccess']) || $context['user']['is_logged']) ? '<li><a id="button_rss" href="' . $scripturl . '?action=.xml;type=rss" class="new_win"><span>' . $txt['rss'] . '</span></a></li>' : '', '
<li class="last"><a id="button_wap2" href="', $scripturl , '?wap2" class="new_win"><span>', $txt['wap2'], '</span></a></li>
</ul>';
- James M. Barrie

2babies=tired

i'm using the default curve theme! So it's the only index template I have installed I guess apart from the Core which I never use. Whatever has happened though hasn't been effected in the index template though... I mean it's some other file the global headers & footers mod has an effect on. Hence the index template not being touched? In any case, the file uploaded is defintiely the one in the Themes/default folder.

mashby

It seems that the global headers/footers mod affects an area of /Sources/Subs.php very near the copyright check. Mind attaching that? Maybe something happened on the uninstallation?
- James M. Barrie

2babies=tired

are you able to check it for me please? I don't knwo what I'm doing...

2babies=tired

Looking at the html index page, it looks like this

<ul class="reset">
<li class="copyright">
<span class="smalltext" style="display: inline; visibility: visible; font-family: Verdana, Arial, sans-serif;">

</span></li>

There's a big gap between the fonts string and the </span> It's supposed to look like this in the source code isn't it...

<ul class="reset">
<li class="copyright">
<span class="smalltext" style="display: inline; visibility: visible; font-family: Verdana, Arial, sans-serif;">

<a href="http://www.simplemachines.org/" title="Simple Machines Forum" target="_blank" class="new_win">Powered by SMF 2.0 RC3</a> |<a href="http://www.simplemachines.org/about/copyright.php" title="Free Forum Software" target="_blank" class="new_win">SMF &copy; 2006&ndash;2010, Simple Machines LLC</a>

</span></li>

But the index template is still correct - so if someone can just tell me how to paste the correct code where it's been deleted please? Does anyone know where else you might alter the above code apart from the index.template.php ??

Sorry if I'm muddled up.. I know the index template is all you should need to alter this but it's simply not making any changes when I upload the correct file.

Thanks

CapadY

Goto forumroot/packages/backup and take a look for a file called "Before Global Headers" or something like that.
Thats the backup made just before installing the MOD so just restore that backup.
Please, don't PM me for support unless invited.
If you don't understand this, you will be blacklisted.

2babies=tired

Quote from: CapadY on May 31, 2011, 12:15:16 PM
Goto forumroot/packages/backup and take a look for a file called "Before Global Headers" or something like that.
Thats the backup made just before installing the MOD so just restore that backup.

Thanks so much and that's a fab idea, but unfortunately I've only just managed to get back onto my pc and if I do that now I'll lose a new member that registered a short while ago and new posts won't i?! :( I could kick myself for not getting to the pc earlier to do this!

Has anyone got any other suggestions please???  :-\

Illori

no that will not touch your database where that data is, it will just revert your forum files back to what it was before you did the mod install.

NanoSector

Quote from: 2babies=tired on May 31, 2011, 03:05:01 PM

Thanks so much and that's a fab idea, but unfortunately I've only just managed to get back onto my pc and if I do that now I'll lose a new member that registered a short while ago and new posts won't i?! :( I could kick myself for not getting to the pc earlier to do this!

That only holds file backups. It doesn't affect the data.

IF you restore the files, the database tables it creates remain unused.
My Mods / Mod Builder - A tool to easily create mods / Blog
"I've heard from a reliable source that the Answer is 42. But, still no word on what the question is."

2babies=tired

Quote from: Illori on May 31, 2011, 03:06:20 PM
no that will not touch your database where that data is, it will just revert your forum files back to what it was before you did the mod install.

Quote from: Yoshi2889 on May 31, 2011, 03:07:01 PM
Quote from: 2babies=tired on May 31, 2011, 03:05:01 PM

That only holds file backups. It doesn't affect the data.

IF you restore the files, the database tables it creates remain unused.

OH thank goodness for that!!!!!!!!!  :D

Right, I will do it now, it may take me a while as I'll have to double check everything... do I need to put the forum in maintenance mode before doing this??

And thank you both by the way!!!

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

Slava
Ukraini!
"Before you allow people access to your forum, especially in an administrative position, you must be aware that that person can seriously damage your forum. Therefore, you should only allow people that you trust, implicitly, to have such access." -Douglas

How you can help SMF

2babies=tired

Quote from: Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen on May 31, 2011, 03:16:52 PM
See this topic Installed a mod? Broke your forum? No backup? This might help. ;)

That's fantastic thank you!

However I have uploaded the files, and unfortunately it's not got rid of the copyright notice. It couldn't have been the global headers and footers mod then! But I only noticed it today after I installed that mod  :'(

mashby

Empty the file cache? It's just weird though as the index.template.php file seems fine to me.
- James M. Barrie

Illori

maybe the index.english.php file got edited some how and the copyright text is missing from there?

2babies=tired

No I'm just looking at it, it's there too! 

$forum_copyright = '<a href="http://www.simplemachines.org/" title="Simple Machines Forum" target="_blank" class="new_win">Powered by %1$s</a> |
<a href="http://www.simplemachines.org/about/copyright.php" title="Free Forum Software" target="_blank" class="new_win">SMF &copy; 2006&ndash;2010, Simple Machines LLC</a>';

It's driving me nuts! I've now uploaded fresh files of complete language directory & sources! What else can I safely upload and replace without overwriting anything that may make the board inaccesible?

Thanks

Illori

why dont you wait till 2.0 comes out and upgrade to it, that will for sure resolve your issue.

Advertisement: