News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

UTF8

Started by Dave J, June 01, 2011, 03:22:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave J

Hi All,

Could anyone tell me if its possible to reverse the UTF8 selection.

I chose this on one of my sites and there are issues that I don't have the other 2 so now I want to revert back to latin1_swedish

Any help would be great as I have no idea if its possible or if it is how to do it.  I have access to all areas including phpmyadmin so if its possible to do it in there no problem

Thanks in advance

Dave
If you want quizzes to add to the new SMF2.1 quiz mod go here . There are also walkthroughs in the forum to explain how to install them and other tips.

agent47

Edit: I guess I was talking about something else entirely.

PortaMx is probably the best SMF portal!

SlammedDime

It's not really easy/possible to do... SMF goes through the database and converts everything to entities.

What issues are you having?
SlammedDime
Former Lead Customizer
BitBucket Projects
GeekStorage.com Hosting
                      My Mods
SimpleSEF
Ajax Quick Reply
Sitemap
more...

Dave J

Quote from: SlammedDime on June 01, 2011, 04:55:51 PM
It's not really easy/possible to do... SMF goes through the database and converts everything to entities.

What issues are you having?

I have installed the SMFArcade and RC4 skin for it on 3 sites, all pretty much have the same set up except the one I'm having problems with which is the only one that I decided for some reason to opt for the UTF8 on the install. The initial problem was that on the skins page you have the option to play a game in a popup window, on 2 sites this works with no problem on the UTF8 site it doesn't work.

I uninstalled both the skin package and the arcade and removed all the database entries etc and files via ftp. I then re-installed the arcade alone and ran it, this now returns an error that the 'Games' folder cannot be accessed due to permissions, I have checked and the permissions for the folder are identical to the other sites, I did change permissions to 777 but still no luck so changed them back again to 755.

I have been to the skin forum for help and we have tried various fixes but with no joy and they are no wiser to the problem than I am. Thats the history..so far.

As the only difference is the UTF8 setting on the one site with the problem I'm guessing it's that whats causing the problem and thought I would ask if there is a way to revert back.

Another question then if I may:

Can I import a UTF8 database into a new install that's been set up with non UTF8?

My thinking here is to create another database and re-install SMF and associated Mods along side my existing set up and then import the original database to the new install, I don't mean just use MySQLAdministrator to copy old tables across as that would mean they are still in UTF8 structure.

I do have some knowledge, no expert I might add,  with php and the installs but this has me beat this time.

Any help at all would be great, thanks.
If you want quizzes to add to the new SMF2.1 quiz mod go here . There are also walkthroughs in the forum to explain how to install them and other tips.

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

UTF-8 or not - should have absolutely no real effect on things like that. Only real problem from using UTF-8 would be the fact that very rarely do mods include UTF-8 languages, so you will usually need to manually make sure language file edits are done to UTF-8 language files in addition to the regular edits the mod makes.
Slava
Ukraini!
"Before you allow people access to your forum, especially in an administrative position, you must be aware that that person can seriously damage your forum. Therefore, you should only allow people that you trust, implicitly, to have such access." -Douglas

How you can help SMF

Dave J

Quote from: Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen on June 26, 2011, 02:50:39 AM
UTF-8 or not - should have absolutely no real effect on things like that. Only real problem from using UTF-8 would be the fact that very rarely do mods include UTF-8 languages, so you will usually need to manually make sure language file edits are done to UTF-8 language files in addition to the regular edits the mod makes.

thanks for the info Lex, the actual problem was to do with the games themselves and they were not written for SMF, once a section of code had been removed from the games php file then the games installed ok and I have now got everything working on SMF 2.0 also with no errors

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

No problem, do you still need further assistance with this? Is there something not working correctly with the UTF-8 install still?
Slava
Ukraini!
"Before you allow people access to your forum, especially in an administrative position, you must be aware that that person can seriously damage your forum. Therefore, you should only allow people that you trust, implicitly, to have such access." -Douglas

How you can help SMF

Dave J

Sorry Lex I just edited my last post.

This can be closed as resoved if you want it too.

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

Alright :) Good, I'll mark this solved then.
Slava
Ukraini!

How you can help SMF

Advertisement: